Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Won't turn over?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyCaGal, Jul 5, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Won\'t turn over?

I have been messing with my truck last night and today. I got it to run last weekend, but it overheated. I think I solved the problem (fan had a bad ground and was not turning on all the way). However it's now dead to turn over. It simply clicks. I bought a brand new Optima yesterday (I unhooked last night, and as of now as to not drain it, so I know it's not dead). I got a good deal on it, and needed a new battery (Die Hard died hard). I hooked it up, and just clicking. The starter is newer (I put it in last August, then the truck ran for a month before basically sitting until now). The solenoid, I believe it's ok. Cables are all good. Would spark plug wires cause this issue? I had to take a few off (trying to wrap them from the header heat) and might have messed that up (order), and I will check that in a while. But other then this, what else should I look at, and look for? I do have headers, but this is a cold start, no heat from them is even on the starter at this point. Thanks.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Re: Won\'t turn over?

if its just clicking, it aint the sparkplug wire. Heck, you can rule out a lot of things if its just clicking. But I would venture to say, its one of the following things:

A. battery
    B. Starter
    C. Connections

It sounds like a low current situation. Which means if you acutally tried to test it with a volt meter, you'd still get the full voltage. Your interior lights and stuff probably all work too. Those are all low drain items.

Get some emory cloth and clean the post/ contacts. Check the ground wire as well. If you have a booster pack (or some other car to jump your truck) do that as well.

Just my two cents (I had it happen to my Chevy Monte Carlo. All the interior lights would work, went to go click the starter, and it just wouldnt go. There was some corrosion on the battery terminal. Voltage shows, but current was too low. Couldnt even use the headlights). Cleaned it off, replaced the head, voila, it worked).

Let us know how it goes...

3. ChevyCaGal

My lights work ok. First thing I checked last night. Like I said, new battery, but maybe it was bad when I got it? I didn't have them check it, because I didn't see the need....

I have a my Peeon to jump off of and a booster pack. My neighbor also has a Dodge Ram I think she'd let me use.

I'm going to swap out the battery cables. I have another set already. Cheap fix for sure. I'll keep trying...

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

jump start it let the battery charge up and you'll be ok, clean the terminals and all too

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i had the same problem the other day after a trail run with some friends. went ot turn my truck back on and nothing...turned out my starter took a crap..and when we came back the next day to swap it out the plastic part on the top of the solonoid came right of it with the bolt..of course mine was acting funny and giving hints of a replacment befor hand.

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Check to make sure you dont have coolant in the oil. You said it overheated it, and if you blew a head gasket you could cause more damage if it does crank over.

Dan

7. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    Check to make sure you dont have coolant in the oil. You said it overheated it, and if you blew a head gasket you could cause more damage if it does crank over.

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

It over heated cuz my fan wasn't grounded all the way, and it wasn't turning on all the way, if at all. I figured it out when it wasn't get hot at night when it was cooler out. My car did the exact same thing, so I checked, sure enough...

8. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

can ya put a pair of vise grips on the flexplate or flywheel and turn it over by hand ???
    if so then your cylinders are probably ok
    mabe pull ur plugs and spray some wd40 down each of the holes
    i therory is ya let it sit so long either yout head gasket went and got water in or just natural hot cold hot cold weather let the condessatation build up in your chambers and ya have rusted your rings to the walls lightl or a lot depending on how much water is in there
    hope im wrong 4 ur sake
    but had to toss my idea in
    chevy's are like kids they like to do stuff :-) or least fake em out y aknow go start it every coupl weekes at least so they think there gonna go somewere
    hope ya had a good 4 th

9. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

reading the stuiff in the last post amazed me, all the isuzu motors i have seen have never had those problems, my 1.8L sat for 5 years and started right up and it was debatable whether it needed a rebuild or not once i got it apart(and my bro drove it thinking oil only needed changing ever 30,000-50,000miles).
    But anyway, take a hammer to your starter and tap it, you might just have a dead pole in it. If this fixes the prob, look into a new starter. Otherwise check all conections and mabe do a current drop.

10. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You just put headers on, check the battery cable to the starter for burnt insulation and grounding.

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Check your battery cables and connections. If they are not burnt or corroded then try jump starting it. Not all batteries will be fully charged off the shelf from the store. 1/2 the batterys on the shelf I have had tested before purchase usually fail.

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm with you kennyw. if the header burned the battery cable and grounded it it wouldn't even click. but if the cables are corroded (even in the insulation, our macks at work do it all the time,everything works but it won't start). it's probably a un charged batt. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check the state of charge on the battery with a voltmeter. Is the battery at 12.4 volts or higher?
    Next i'd check the resistance of both battery cables, or just replace them since you'll have to disconnect both sides to check resistance. I've had the negative cable to the frame cause this problem before....
    But Like mentioned before, I'd be willing to bet its the + cable going next to the headers to the starter. since you just put on new headers.
    It could be the starter selenoid, if you keep trying it sometimes it will go click click click click and then finally start up... that would mean the selenoid is burnt up and theres too much resistance in the selenoid.

14. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Here's what I would do.

Attempt to turn on engine by the pulley with resonably force, check oil for water. If it turns jump down to the battery section. If not pull the plugs and see what's in there. (This is not likely the problem but better safe then sorry)

Battery Section - The more likely cause
    Check battery volts at the battey - should be 11+ volts.
    Check battery volts while cracking at the battery - should stay 10-11 volts.
    If these are low - battey problem

Check battery volts (At the starter) - again should be 11+
    Check battery volts while cracking at the starter - again 10-11
    If these are low then cables/connections.

If not, and I imagine this is the problem, pull the started and have it tested. Over heating a marginal starter can cause is to fail. Can act just like a deal battery. Clicky-click. The extra heat from headers have a way of killing starters.

Good Luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mike