Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Woo finally back and in search of a aily driver (RE: Help)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SlyDog, Jun 21, 2004.

1. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hey ya'll...It's good to be back after being gone almost 5 weeks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Well my dad and I have done alotta thinking and I've decided to start looking for a DD to putt around town in.

I've been researching and studyin and am afraid to say I keep lookin at some rice /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I don't want to spend more then 8 or 9 thousand...heres a short list of what I'm looking for:
    Good Gas Mileage
    Good Looks/Decent Performance/Good Reliability

So far the car to jump out and grab my attention is the '95-'98 Nissan 240SX. Rear wheel drive...low 20's mpg...looks good...good reliability and can be had for around 6 or 7K.

Lets hear some experiences of cars you like or know of that fit this bill!! Thanks for anything /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

What about a VW or Subarau? The little german diesels can get 45-50 mpg easily /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Our 93 Civic now has 205K miles on it. Cant say that I love it but my wife uses it to commute from Chandler to PHX every day. 40 MPG commuting, 89 blazing HP and as plain looking and boring as cars can get. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Volkswagon Golf/Jetta TDI. Over 50MPG with a manual, pretty reliable except for some minor stuff, HUGE BBS support on the internet, great car for the DIY type of person that likes something a bit different.

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hmm thanks guys, I'll check those out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Paul, if you can handle a little less milage there is an UNMOLESTED 87 Blazer on McDowell west of Miller on North side of street. Sign said financing available. No lift, perfect paint. I think mileage will be comparable to that heavy Tahoe you use /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Volkswagon Golf/Jetta TDI. Over 50MPG with a manual, pretty reliable except for some minor stuff, HUGE BBS support on the internet, great car for the DIY type of person that likes something a bit different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why I didn't say anything else about these cars. If you don't know, they're turbodiesels. The new engine for 2004 has 100hp and 177lb-ft of torque at 1800RPM - right in the meat of the RPM range. That said, if you know anything about diesels then you know that they run forever and they're real easy to crank up the power with a turbo version. Plus, even after you crank the power up with a chip or a tuning box, you can still get the same or better mpg, so long as you keep your foot out of it. It's cool to have a car that is pretty quick, goes over steep mountain passes while maintaining 80mph, and still gets 50mpg. You can go 600-700 miles per tank easy, as much as 900 if you're easy on it.

I bought a Jetta TDI in Dec '03 and I've put 28,000 miles on it since then. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like the Chevy Beretta. Good gas milage, looks good, fairly fun to drive. Last one I had was a 89 with a 2.8, but they made them through 96 and you should be able to find one with a 3.1 . Another nice thing about the Beretta is you can build a booming stereo system very easily in them. Oh yeah, you can usely get them cheap too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif [​IMG]