Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Woo! Got her back together!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, after a week or so, I finally got my SM465 back together :D

Two questions -- My 1st gear, and my low gear both have about 1/32" -> 1/16" of forward to backward play. I made sure to use all the same washers etc from the 2wd gear set. Is that normal / acceptable? Nothing else in the tranny has any play (put a spacer inbetween the gears on the countershaft, no play in the input or output shaft, counter shaft etc)

Second -- I bought some of that Lucas oil treatment stuff, since I've heard nothing but good about it. However, the bottle doesn't say how much a guy should use in the tranny. Should I just glob the whole thing in there (there is about a quart in the bottle) or how much does it need?

Overall -- SM465 rebuild wasn't too tough :) I only had to take it into a shop to have the countershaft bearing pulled, and even then, it took about 12 tons of pressure to get it off according to the gauge on his press :eek1: Most of it was taken apart / assembled with a big hammer and a couple blocks of wood :)

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

3. Russell

Hmm, thats no good!

Only reason I put it in is cause I was told it reduced the gear whine of the tranny. That, and I probally put waaayyy too much in...

I'll drain her out tommorow and replace the fluid (I bought a bulk 20 gallon bucket of 80w90 extreme duty stuff)

4. MoonMan

MoonMan Registered Member

That doesn't sound like too much play in the gears. Did you torque the mainshaft locknut to 120 ft*lbs?

5. darenofears

darenofears Registered Member

Lucas Does Help

my Older brother ran it in his 465 for quite a while

6. Russell

I used a screwdriver and a big hammer, tightened it down as much as I could with that. Don't have one of those fancy sockets. There is no forwards to backwards play on the output shaft, so I think it is probally good :)

What I'm thinking I'll do, is run the lucas to school and back, working the tranny real hard, then pop the top off and see how the lube looks. It is is full of air, and all white like on that post by bob the oil guy there, then I'll drain and replace it.

Winds up I did good on the mixture too. Suppost to go 25% with it, I put 4 litres of gear lube in, and 1 litre of Lucas, so it is probally pretty close :)

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Good plan on the Lucas. I was not suggesting that you remove it as i have never personally done tests on it. I tend to be the skeptic of all things, Bob the oil guy included.
    I do know that he is not affiliated with Lucas, however he does work for a different company inthe same industry.

Let us know how it turns out. I am curious too see a real world test of that stuff.