Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Woo Hoo! It has closed chambered heads.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jul 1, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

The supposed 402BB in this truck I got has closed chamber heads.

In search of the mystery noises, I pulled a valve cover, finding out that this is the grungiest motor I have ever seen. After some scraping, I got the casting number.

3917215 which according to Mortec are '67-'68 Oval port, closed chamber 396 or 427 heads.

The motor is still running like garbage, has a bad miss and deathly rattle, but after retarding the timing back closer to where it should be, I was able to powerbrake the truck (a dually rear crew cab with a utility box) in my driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Still pings some, but if this motor is say a higher compression motor, and I have very low octane fuel in it, I suppose it still will.

2. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

nice score!!! Keep us posted.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i run those on my 396 with a solid cam. good head.. nice score, dont see them around much anymore...

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i believe alot of the 396/402's came w/ closed chamber heads, the rest ive ever seen had the semi-closed(or is it semi-open) heads.