Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Woo hoo Operation Prerunner Blazer commences next week

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5james, Sep 30, 2004.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

My home equity line finally came through and we get the first chunk of money next week. Here's how I'm lining it up so far. Feel free to give me some input if you like.

Phase 1(Drivetrain)
    LQ4/4L80e - $2500-$5000
    Installation - $5000 +/-
    above is still being debated
    FF 35 spline 9" rear end - $4000 +/-
    Misc.(rad.,efans,etc) - $1500 +/-

Phase 2(Suspension/Safety)
    Long Travel Front End Kit - $2500
    Installation - $500
    Shock Hoops/Engine Cage - $400
    Coilovers - $1100
    Long Travel Rear Leaf Springs - $600 +/-
    Bumpers - $675 +/-
    Cage - $2300 +/-
    Misc.(brake lines,seats,etc.) - $1500 +/-
    May get a price break on all of Phase 2 since I'm doing it all at once and will let the shop use it every now and then for trade shows

Phase 3(Blingage)
    Paint(Algadones, BC, Mex special) - $500 +/-
    Misc.(2 rims,tires,system) - $2000 +/-

I know it seems like a lot(probably becuase it is). What do you guys think?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Kaching.................................

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Can't you buy one already done for that or less?

4. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

A 72 Blazer prerunner? Not likely. A lot of guys on here have dumped equal to that if not more in their rigs. They just do it over a longer period of time. I'm hoping to have this thing done by the end of this desert season but we'll see.

Here's how I justified it to my wife.
    Spend 20-30 gr on a classic to make it exactly how I want it and if times got tough I could still get quite a bit of money back from selling it(out of my cold dead hands) or spend 30 gr on a new truck and another 10-15 gr making it perform like I want and lose my butt on it if I ever have to sell.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds pretty cool.............but a home equity loan to build a "toy" /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Looks pretty interesting.

What about the motor? Fuel injection? And tires? Maybe that stuff is already taken care of. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

It's your money, and you earned it. I say do what you like! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (like you needed me to tell you that)

7. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds pretty cool.............but a home equity loan to build a "toy"

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the loan is being taken out to pay off all of our bills and I convinced the wife to let me use a chunk to do up my Blazer. It's not just a toy it will be my daily driver as well. I finally get to retire my Nissan Hardbody that refuses to die. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    What about the motor? Fuel injection? And tires? Maybe that stuff is already taken care of.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the motor and trans please refer to the first two parts of Phase 1. For tires please refer to the last part of Phase 3. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Two questions:
    Why are you paying $4K for a ford 9" when you can get a 14 bolt FF for less than $1K with a locker, disc brakes, and shaved?

Not to be a jack a$$ but why are you risking your home for the K5? If you default on the loan you loose your house...

[/ QUOTE ]

For the first one please refer to the various 9" v 14 bolt for high speed desert applications threads that have been beaten to death.

For the second part. The financing is way better than that of buying a new truck. Also, like I said it's not just for the K5 we are paying off all of our debt with the equity line so we were going to take one out anyway.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

maybe people need it clarified that an LQ4 is the 6.0L motor from the newer pickups /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

9. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Oops. Sorry, I take it for granted that people know what I'm talking about when it comes to the new stuff.

Yep, I'm leaning towards a 6.0/4L80E out of a wrecked 2004 Yukon 2500 w/ 10 miles on it but the price is kind of steep($5000) so we'll see.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh you could buy a new LS1 and a used trans for that much, its up to you and what you want to use /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

11. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    What about the motor? Fuel injection? And tires? Maybe that stuff is already taken care of.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the motor and trans please refer to the first two parts of Phase 1. For tires please refer to the last part of Phase 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    maybe people need it clarified that an LQ4 is the 6.0L motor from the newer pickups

[/ QUOTE ]
    Now it all makes sense. I thought the LQ4 was a tranny I'd never heard of, not an engine I'd never heard of. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

As for my "tires" part of the question, I swear I just got new contacts.

12. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Where can you get one for that price? A new motor from GM is about $5500-$6500 and the yards are selling 4L80E's for about $1000.