Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Woo-hoo!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryeguy, May 22, 2001.

1. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Finally! My freshened up Caddy 472 (everything but pistons) is sitting in my '87 Blazer frame, along with the TH400, and dual T-case (Ford NP203/Ford NP205 combo). Some gorey details:

- engine sits about 2 inches further in the frame than the stock 350 did, measured from the back of the block.
    - made up some simple plates from 1/4-inch plate steel to mount to the original Chevy motor mounts and to the frame, for the Caddy motor mounts to bolt to (also very slightly modified).
    - _no_ mod's to the frame were required to fit the engine
    - I'm going to have to nick the frame to make sure the passenger side exhaust manifold doesn't contact the frame during high torque situations. Same goes for the passenger side sway bar mount (oil filter), and driver's side plate that I used for engine mount (other exhaust manifold).
    - I picked up some BBC pickup headers. They are just not gonna fit at all. Good thing I hadn't gotten around to modifying them to fit the Caddy motor.
    - gave the Blazer a 3 inch body lift, looks like I only needed 2 to clear the air breather. The 472 has the Edelbrock intake and a propane carb. (Mounted a Chrysler V-2 air conditioning compressor for the onboard air, which would have necessitated the body lift even if the air cleaner hadn't.)

I want to be driving the truck in a month (6 weeks tops). Only (only) have to swap in new axles, a new suspension, and put together the rest of the interior, build a rear bumper, make up some driveshafts, get the (dual) exhaust done, hook up the on-board air, mount the propane tanks, and fit the 44" tires! Whew, gonna be a busy month! At least I have all the parts...

--Rob (feeling pretty good)

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Wow! Sounds cool! What are you doin, a frame swap or something?

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

3. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

sounds like fun

4. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Just buildin' a really big Blazer. Bought the '87 after it was stolen and stripped, never drove it even a mile. Just started taking it apart, and now it's finally going back together.

--Rob