Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wood bed floor for 67-72 Blazer/Jimmy.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustyParts, Jun 3, 2005.

1. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever replace the steel floor with a wood floor? My Jimmy has a half cab and I was wondering if anyone had any info or seen a wood floor.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmmm..

Other than a few rotboxes I've seen with plywood bolted over the rusted bed floor on a few plow rig K5's,I've never seen a wooden floor in a K5--but I suppose since they make wood picup truck bed floors and kits with new chrome strips and oak planks for them,I dont see why someone could not cut out the steel floor and alter the pickup bed wood floor to fit...might be more work than its worth though.... :confused:

A side note--the 71 Suburban I had came factory with a marine plywood floor from the rear seats back!--and it was the strongest part of the truck too!--when I got it for parts,it was so rotted I literally kicked the rear 1/4 panels off,and it took only a few minites with a sawsall to cut off the roof(which my friend made into a steel hardtop for his 72 K5!)--but that plywood took all afternoon to strip away from all the body mounts and supprts!..it was like new still,after nearly 30 years...I've seen older Burbs like a 1959 my friend had with factory wood planks in the rear just like a pickup bed--so I suppose you COULD do it to a K5.. :thinking: --you might be the first guy on the block to own one! :crazy:

3. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

My rig is used mainly in fall and winter, so I have thought about converting my 72 K5 to a hardtop (I seem to be unable to stop the leaks). Do you have pics of your friends conversion available?

4. diesel4me

nope..

Sorry,I never took any pictures of it...that was about 15 years ago too!..he made it into a "half cab" using the burb roof section and part of a pickup cabs back wall,a 67 GMC with the tiny back window...it looked pretty cool!..a lot of work though...but he enjoyed body work,and he did a pretty decent job on it.. :crazy:

5. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

I haven't decided which would be easier; Grafting a roof and rear section onto the Blazer body, or just cutting the center section out of the Burb body and mounting it on a Blazer frame...

6. RustyParts

My Jimmy has an after market half cab that I bought probably twenty years ago. It was made by Glasstite in I think Dunnel Minnesota. I don't know if they still make them or not.

The top was fiberglass and the part behind the seat was made of steel with tool trays. I've attached a pic although not a very good one.

DCP_2838.jpg

7. diesel4me

I almost bought one...

I still have the brochure I got from the Glasstite company on their half cab conversions--I almost bought one in 1990!--but I looked on the website--Glasstite still makes truck caps,but I saw no mention of any half cab conversions--guess they quit making them... :frown1:

8. RustyParts

Damn the luck, sure would be a lot easier than fabbing one from scratch.