Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wood bed instead of steel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jcg, May 22, 2000.

1. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever thought of putting in a wood bed instead of sheet metal? I'm in the proccess of cutting out my old floor, or what's left of it, and I'm really starting to like the idea of a wood bed like the old pickups had. I think it might even be easier to put in than the sheet metal. It will be alot of custom work, but that's why we own K5's isn't it?? Well, that, and where else would we bury all our money?! Any opinions on the floor??

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I guess it would look cool.....don't know about the practicality of it, but like you said....who here is practicle! You might get some water splash up through the cracks unless you did a super nice fit or glassed the bottom. Let us know.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. solid454

solid454 Registered Member

hey man i was thinking of that too. I just sold my old truck and it had a wooden bed, I loved it.

BIG HEAVY AND MEAN

4. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

The steel floors are still available from GM. Complete floor from the raised section behind the front seats to the tailgate including everything back there. They aren't free but its not bad considering the other options and its not too bad a job and its all original when your done. Just a thought

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I was going to do that originally but when I went to the dealership last week to order it they said it was discontinued and no one in the country had one in stock. I checked with them about two months ago and the whole pan with the rear support was $400. It must have just been discontinued recently. Unfortunately now I have bigger problems than the rear floor.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy