Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wood carving

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nc87k5, Jun 1, 2005.

1. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

who's into wood carving? I'm refering to small animals & plaques with the small knives and not the chain saw type...which by the way is cool! anyone have any pointers?

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I dont care about wood carving,.,i care about POWER WHEELS :D j/k,,

woodcarving is neat man, you can also sell what you make ;)

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

not yet I can't, just getting started/interested in it. I'm working on a plaque with a bass that's chasing a minnow. really curious as to what I may be able to do with enough practice and pointers. I hope to get good enough or stay interested in it to do a 3D figure.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Cool man. Hobbys are great. You could do it mabey in the living room on the couch with your wife watching tv or something, that way you wouldnt be away for the Ms,,unless, you wanted to start to get AWAY from the Ms, like i do sometuimes,,:D and go into the garadge, and mess with your junk ,,and get into "the zone" where its jst you, a carving knife, a beer and some wood. :D

5. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

nope, can't do it the living room. Cristy hates me when I make a mess. I tried it before we bought the house, inside our mobile home and she flipped. she's a neat freak and hates a mess. anyway when I'm doing something like that, I want to be alone with no distractions. me, my music, the knives, the piece of wood, and a cold drink! that's life!

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a plan man :cool1:

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My Sister sells alot of wood carvings and pottery that she makes. If y'all can spend the time there, there is a great school for those and other crafts at Brasstown, N.C. about 10 miles SE of Murphy. She teaches there sometimes now after being a student there. Her husband has taken up blacksmithing and woodturning.

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here's the one my friend Rob made a few years back. The picture's don't really show the detail. It looks bad ass in person.

you can check some more of is work.
    www.scrambledmilk.com
    www.robertbellm.com

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i had done some small carving when i was younger, but havent done much lately.

i got into metel art and have sold a few piece, and have dabled a bit in stone!

i made a small heart out of black canadian granit and gave it to my wife when we were dateing, i did it all by hand and it has a polished finish.

for a weding gift i carved a piece of red granit into the flower or a rose (by hand) then made the stem, leave, and torns of the rose out of copper, the leaved even had little veains on them!!!.

the whole thing sits atop a polished black granit stand with a small brass plaq that has out names, our wedding date, and "endless bloom of love' on it.

total time into the project it about 450 hours!!!!!!

carveing stone by have takes a long long long time!!!

10. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

thanks for the info! I've started a small plaque and would really love to go more in depth with other projects so I may give it some consideration to take some of those classes.

11. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

he does some great work. when I first saw this picture, I thought it was a real bird.

[​IMG]

12. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

yeah, those are pretty crazy.

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

What kind of tools do you use to carve stone like that? Do you have pictures?

What about wood? I know there are a bunch of different little chisels and picks, but what can be done with a pocket knife?

14. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

wood carving is an awsome hobby. it can be a very peaceful way to spend a few hours doing something constructive and positive with your time, as long as you dont get upset or angry cause it does'nt come out right. its a real get in your own brain and see whats in there kind of hobby.

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

when i carved the stone I did it with pieces of an abrasive wheel used to sharpin dianond core drill bits. It dose not remove very much stock at all, so it takes a long time, ill look for pics, there not that good but i have some.

for pockit knife carveing you best bet is chip carving.

the vast amount of tools can be seen here at lee valley tools

EDIT heres a few pics. this is mostly done, wasent quite finish at pic time.

the rose with a weding pic in background note, me, christina, her brother, and mom
    [​IMG]

closer

[​IMG]

and the heart

[​IMG]

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Wow man, those look really good, nice work! :thumb: