Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wood This Be Too Lame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Resurrection_Joe, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Get the pun ? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sheet steel is really spendy around here because you have to buy the whole sheet no matter how much you need

I was thinking of using wood lag screwed to a steel angle frame. Is there a way to weatherproof it and keep it flat blackable?

I figure later if I want to I can just weld on steel to the frame.

The only other thing I oculd think of is going to my mini junkyard and pounding Chevy Citation hoods flat with a hammer /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

BTW - I'll let you onto a little idea of mine

I'm designing a "trunk" for my pickup cab, like a toolbox beihing the cab, but square (48x18x24) that has a 48x18 pass through to the cab so I can put a small stereo in there and still cut the roof off. I also have a fledgling idea of mounting the cut off roof to the cage instead of back to the rest of the cab when it's snowing in Rezzy Land

BTW Part Two - SON OF BTW

I heard on Pirate that it's feasable to just hook the line out of a CD/MP3 player straight to an amp, but I'd be concerned of input levels to the amp on being too loud/not loud enough. Any ideas?

BTW 3 REDUX - IN AFTERTHOUGHTOVISION

I just wanted to pull another one of the lame jokes

2. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

you could try using the sheet metal from oil pans. not the ones in your engine, the ones that go under your car and save the driveway from drips. its thin but very flexible and easy to shape. as far as teh stereo thing, ive put together a few stereos in cars and i think it would work with a walkman connecting to a amp. i dont think it would be the best idea though. an amp is like $100 and you can get a deck for much cheaper. if you want to do this because you have an mp3 player just get one or those adapter wires that goes from the player into the radio of the deck.

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Cut the top and bottom of 5 bajillion million Budweiser cans and weld them all together. That should get it.

Now, for the wood, I'm thinking that good pressure treated lumber caulked, sealed and painted is going to be about the same as some sheetmetal. Maybe it's time to start hitting the drop bins, or go to a place that does sheetmetal parts and see about buying a sheet of their stock /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Give them the big puppy dog eyes about how you can't afford to buy a sheet from the supply house cause they rape you for one sheet, but when they buy 200, they get a deal.....

4. Resurrection_Joe

Excuse -

I'm gonna transfer some of my current stuff to the truck when it's done. I need to leave the deck in the K5 because it's all majically wired together with switches and I DONT want to have to reconfigure it after that masterpiece.

I don't want to mount a deck in the dash because

1. It get soaked with no top
    2. The dash sheetmetal is [darn] anyway
    3. I don't want to buy another deck
    4. If I mount it behind the seat I can wire it to a switch to come on, but how can I adjust it
    5. I don't want to buy another deck

I want it set up like this because it's skipproof and cheaper, I already have the speakers and 2 amps, I just need some 6x9's in boxes that will handle 60 watts a piece and I can just plug a CD player into it.

I have it set up now with the CD player going into the alternate input of the (tape) deck and wrting normal from there.

I suppose I could drop buckets in it and make a console that has a sealable top, but I like my bench and I was coutning on it to seal off the pass through box.

Kyle -

I buy beer in bottles /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think ti would work fine too, but I don't want to post pictures and have some guy go

"Hey, wood, thats stupid, it'll last like, 3 months, loser"

Plus wood DOES look kind of cheesy, but.... cheap

Remember I live in Gettysburg SD Town of 1400, one steel shop, closest to me is 60 miles, I have nothing to haul steel that far in but a 2003 Chevy Malibu...

I know my boss has some steel bent for the countertop at work maybe I'll try and get a hold of them

5. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

I looked at a 79 scout this last weekend that had the bed lined with 2x4's, yeh It did look really cheesy /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif, I kind of laughed under my breath when I saw it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif, but he said he didn't have a welder #1, and he didn't know how to weld #2. I guessed it worked for him /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. Wouldn't it hold moisture and accelerate the rusting of the metal underneath? Wood will draw moistrue out of the air

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't hook amps to a head unit unless you use RCAs. High-inputs with speaker wire sound like [darn].

7. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

just layer on some paint over the wood and it might almost look like metal. marine plywood would hold up but it will also be almost the cost of sheet metal.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Uhhhhh I never wanted too, I meant hooking the line out or headphone 1/8" jack to the RCA inputs of the amp with a cable

I also thought of using tub surround type material, that plastic bumpy junk

Then just otu comes my big caulk

9. Resurrection_Joe

Well I figure if someone can make a 68 GMC bed look good (came stock with wood) then I could maybe pull it off

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Bring a 6 pack to your local landfill--they will likely trade you that for some old refridgerators or washing machines and clothes dryers--large sheets of epoxy painted metal for nearly zip! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.Thats what my last layers of floor patches for my 74 plow truck were made of--and I wish the rest of the truck held up as good!. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Resurrection_Joe

I just remebered we just threw out a deep freezer at work.... hmmmm