Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Woohoo! Air tools for the junkyard...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dremu, Jan 3, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Damn I love Yorks =))

Anyway, had to use a teeeeny tiny pulley to get enough torque multiplication, but that little 2hp gas mower motor turns the York ... and voila, crap I had laying around or people gave me ... and $15 for an air tank ... gas-powered air compressor. It'll run my IR impact when the tank is charged, and I figger I get maybe 25% duty cycle out of it, which for junkyard runs is prolly fine. I'll be spending that much other time swearing and rolling in the dirt :D

I'd like to find some way to charge the battery other than the trickle charger; it's just a little lawn&garden one, but I figger the two or three amps the clutch takes will take a few hours to discharge, which is more run time than I need. Worst case I can just jump it off my car. (You Might Be A Redneck If!) :haha:

-- A

compressor.jpg

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Maybe with some bigger casters and larger wheels; I don't know about your junkyards, but mine I can barely navigate on foot.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That looks liek a heavy sucker. any more pictures?

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks cool, but I agree. Mount it in a wheel barrow.

6. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice, now all you have to do is find some cement junkyards.:haha:

7. dremu

Dammit, caught. Yeah, I thought about that AFTER I welded that set on there ... I have a set of like 6" knobby pneumatic tires I may put on there ... just hafta take this set off when I tear it down to paint it. Grumble. This is turning into a PROJECT. Althought the closest PnP isn't bad, except when it rains.

Stave, what kinda pix you want? It's plumbed just like your household AC compressor, or an OBA set up ... except it's a weeeery small motor =))

-- A

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty cool!..

I like it!--but yeah,it needs bigger (wider) wheels,or a wheelbarrow style mount!..how many PSI can you get before the motor bogs out??..

I made a similar unit at the junkyard out of a junked riding mower,and an air compressor that someone scrapped that had a rod thru the block on its gas motor..and a rotted out air tank..we used an empty 20lb propane gas grille tank instead..had a twin cylinder air pump ...

We just mounted the tank in the front of the grille,and the mower was an old Sears "Suburban" tractor that had a 10HP horizontal shaft motor,so adapting the air pump wasnt that difficult..put it above the tank on custom brackets,and made a bumper/gaurd to protect them--the crank on the engine had a PTO pulley to run a snowblower,we used that to turn the pump....we used it to push disabled cars around the shop too,so we needed a rugged push bumper....

Ours topped out at 100 PSI..we never fiddled with the pressure switch,probably could have gotten 125 out of it,but it ran the impacts ok..it was nice to have air power out in the junkyard to dismantle cars,and being able to DRIVE the compressor to the job was a big plus!(the yard was 18 acres,and muddy most of the time)..

As for charging your battery...

You could use a GM integral regulated altenator to keep the battery charged,but that would require at least a 5 hp motor...and would take up a bit of space...

I've tried using a radiator fan motor as a generator on a kids bicycle..it will light up a 6V bulb real good,but I doubt you could get 12V out of it,at any reasonable rpm...(you'd need like a 24V motor to charge a 12V battery!)..Chucked in my drill press,I got 3.3 amps at 9V,at about 5000 RPM out of a Mopar "K" car radiator fan motor with permanent magnets..!!..

I succeded in literally popping a #194 bulb with it going faster,(highest speed on my drill press!-and it went POW!):eek1: and I was scared to hold the motor by hand for very long at that speed--it could have been messy..

I ran it off the bike tire by putting rubber fuel line over the shaft the fan used to pin onto, to spin it,and a mounting bracket off the rear fork....on a 10 speed bike with 27" tires,it lit up that 6V headlight pretty darn bright!..:D

Maybe you could rig something up like that..it might not "charge" the battery,but would probably extend the run time before the A/C clutch wont stay engaged..:crazy: ..I'd start looking for a 5HP motor though..then you could use a GM altenator..and there are plans online to build a welder out of one too,both DC,and AC!..:thinking: :saweet:

9. dremu

D4M, I set the pressure switch to kick off at about 125PSI ... I think it'd do more, but I didn't want to mess with it.

I'm now thinking about a cart, like, or a wheelbarrow idea... :thinking: ... but the self-powered thing is ... wow. That's wild. More than I need. As you say, I'd need a bigger motor.

I didn't think of a small DC motor run backwards... hmm. :D

OOH ... it's waaay more than I'm willing to spend, but HF has this thing...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=2915

I could then just hitch it up and roll it away ... heh heh. Actually, I have one of those receiver hitch trays... hmmm... A man with a welder is a dangerous thing...

-- A

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats true!...

Yes,a man with a welder can be a dangerous thing..wish my old miller arc welder hadn't croaked..I got lots of scrap and ideas,and no welder now..:mad:

That cart would work..but I have a transaxle with 2 nice wide 8" rims that would slide right under the cart you made.(needs tires!).hook it to the motor,you'd have 2 forward speeds,and reverse!..:D

I've seen a older John Deere riding mower that has a air compressor AND a "ZENA" altenator/welder setup at another boneyard I frequent!..it can not only strip a car,it can weld it back together too!..:laugh: ..they use it to jump start junkers to see if the motors are still good too..

DID YOU...

Ever notice as soon as you scrap something,you wish you kept it??...:mad:

I had junked 3 4x4 front axles recently..the 8 lugger D44 out of my 74 K20,(real rusted)and 2 -10 bolts I sold the flattop knuckles off of..

Now I have regrets...looking at my engine crane while drinking a few on new years eve,I was thinking what a nutcracker it is to tug or push it around with an engine or anything hanging on it--and how worthless it is on dirt or grass....then I had a brainstorm..!

I should have kept one 4x4 front axle complete,and used square tubing to make mounts for it,to slide it in where the rear casters go in the engine crane..

Mount a 2" pipe axle,under the "legs" of the crane,near the original front casters--(clamp it on with "U" bolts" so it could be easily removed, and still used to pull engines)--a "solid" axle,that I could mount my used golf cart tires and rims on..wide,but not too tall..now it will roll on dirt or grass,without digging in and dropping anchor!..:wink1:

Have the diff yoke pointing towards the front of the crane,where there is a nice boxed in section,where a small gas engine could be mounted,that runs a hydraulic pump..

Using my old power angle plow pistons,and the valve body controls,I could make the boom extend and retract,and lift and lower quite easily.:laugh:

And a hydraulic motor driving the diff ,via chain and sprocket, would make it self-propelled,and have forward and reverse!..and rear steering thanks to the 4x4 front axle!..I still have the steering box and draglink off my 74 K20...

You could even mount a tractor seat to sit on it over the rear diff,for added weight to avoid "chineese wheelies",and ride it around the yard,pick up those heavy junk motors,logs,or anything else,just like a forklift!..--DRIVE it to your truck,and dump it in the bed!!:D :bow:

I bet it would work great..I have nearly all the parts other than a front axle,--but my friend has a 69 K10 front end out in the woods I can get....only lacking the welder,and I'd have to scrounge a valve for the hydro motor..my brother has a motor off an old hydro winch..

If I build one,and it works well enough,maybe I could patent it and sell a "conversion kit" to make your engine crane off road friendly,and self-propelled,and rideable!:D ..I bet if it would drag a car around ,I bet junkyards and home gearheads would buy them right up!..:laugh:

Maybe I should just stop thinking while I'm drinking....:thinking: :whistle: :screwy: :confused: :p:

11. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

why drag all that around ?

1 10 c/ft Nitrogen cylinder and regulator and coiled hose-:whistle:

Maybe 20 lbs total weight.:dunno:

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Just a close up of the motor and the compressor. I haven't found a york yet so I know nothing on how they work.
    Thanks

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my buddy and i have something similar to that... we've got an all terrain wagon with a hose reel on it, and mounts to secure a toolbox to it that we also take.

we'v eactually had trips to the yard where we came away with parts, and cash. people love the convenience of air in the middle of a junkyard. :cool:

IMAG0299.JPG

14. dremu

Well, you shoulda asked ... I had one last week :D

Anyway, look on http://www.onboardair.com/ for the scoop on Yorks.

It's basically a little tiny two-cylinder motor run backwards, so instead of blowing gas up to turn the crankshaft, turning the crankshaft makes air pop out the top.

-- A

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

very cool, maybe a small alt to charge it, or a solar cell?