Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Woohoo! bought '89 suburban today!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazinaire, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Woohoo! bought \'89 suburban today!

Well the girlfriend finally did it, she bought a truck bigger than mine. At least she can pull mine around on the trailer now! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif No lift for a while (yea, we've all heard that before) but we can't get too crazy because it will be the DD and responsible for towing duties. It's very clean with power everything and icy cold AC. Bought from the original owner too! Now we won't be so crowded when we go camping like we were in the back of the blazer. I tought her well, nothing but SFA GM's for us /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Woohoo! bought \'89 suburban today!

congratulations! 1st one?? You can't give'em up once you have one you know!

3. Blazinaire

It will be our first sub, but all I have ever had in my possesion have been SFA GM's. IMO they are the best trucks ever made (including new ones) and there are so many parts available you can make them do anything. Now maybe my truck will start getting the mods that I was holding off on due to highway driveability.

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Don't worry about lifts and towing. My '77 Sub (before I lifted it into orbit with 12" Nationals and 44" tires) had a 6" lift an 36" tires and I used to tow my boat all over the place with it with no problems! Just make sure, if you got a 1/2 ton Sub, that you beef the rear springs to reduce the sway and the amount of sag from the trailer. And come awn now, get that thing up on 6" and 35s!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. 91burb

91burb Registered Member

What are the spec's? I've owned my 1991 2500 for 4 years and I can't part with it. AZBLAZOR is right, you can't get rid of them!

6. Blazinaire

Well that is actually my main concern is that it is a 1/2 ton. The plan was to just put a 2'' AAL and 2 1/2'' shackle flip in the rear with 4'' ez-rides in the front /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Do you think that a 1/2 ton is up to towing #6000+'s? It has a tbi 350, 700r4 np241 (which I will probably swap into the blazer w/ SYE and put my 208 in the 'burb /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and 10 bolts front and rear (no gov-lok) and what feels to me like 3.73's (haven't actually checked for sure). Interior is sporting front buckets, PW, PDL, rear AC, tinted glass, tailgate (she hates barn doors) TW, CC... everything! It has the stock rallye wheels and brand new 31x10.5 duelers, so we will just use those up before buying some bigger meats. We are going to have to invest in an intecom system so that we can talk to the passengers all the way in the back of the bus /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif I think that if we just put a 6 lug 14sf (she despises 14ff so that is outta the question) in the rear it would be fine, but those things are so damned hard to find around here /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Well to be honest with ya, the wife's Sub is a '90 with the 700R4 tranny...and after blowing it up and rebuilding it 6 times, I finally got tired of it and swapped it out for a TH400 trans. The thing NEVER towed a thing and was geared properly with 4.56 gears and 35" tires, so there was no stress on the tranny. I would not tow a thing with a 700R4, but that's just me! Start saving your money now for the $1000+ rebuild cost of a 700 trans. It's not a matter of "if" it will go out, but more a matter of "when" it will go out!!

8. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Check your axle ratio to be sure, but my 91 guide shows a 350/700R4/1500 4x4 with 3:42 @ 5500 (Gross combined 11K), 3:73 @ 6500 (12K). The 2500s 3:73 is 6000(12K), 4:10 - 7500 (13,500). That being said, I concur that the 700 will give you problems. the question is when. I put a GM 3yr/50,000 mile unit in and (so far) it hasn't gone out a 2nd time. Also added the biggest cooler I could find for 1/2 the grill space and temps are much nicer now! Also put in a 4 row radiator & 14FF with 4:10s in my 91. It pulls real nice now, but sure wouldn't in stock form! (weight dist hitch, 7 way wires, brake controller, etc) Dont' do the Interstates, but more rural roads and can actually get double digit mileage when towing!

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Right on dude! A Blazer and Sub! Dueling Chevys! haha!
    If it were me I would put a Full floating axle of some kind in the back with 4.11s and be done with it, if your going to tow with it. Oh and a very large Trans. cooler. Take that FI off (she doesn't need it) and throw it away...........ie. in to the Blazer! lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Blazinaire

Yea, the FF in the rear is a good idea but I was trying to avoid changing axles if at all possible. At least it has the 30 spline 10 bolts though /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Trans cooler is already in the works. My blazer already has fuel injection, remember on dump bump how I was smoking off the tires and finally had to back down /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif? Wasn't as graceful as your decent of dump bump huh /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, maybe I could convince her to donate the FI to you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

HELL YES! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

Well those 6lug 14sf are really hard to find but I have a 8 lug 14 sf sitting in the side yard with 4:10s which I pulled from my 89 3/4 ton sub. The nice part is you can use your front 10 bolt and all you have to do is bolt on the outers off of a 3/4 ton to do an 8 lug conversion. I your going to tow the 4:10's are your best bet to put less strain on the 700r4. Just my 2bits /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If you are interested I have an extra 14 sf 6-lug with 3.73's. PM me if your interested.