Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WOOHOO!!! Finally Scored My Dana 60! For Free!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flexy K20, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Finally after driving back streets for hours looking for K30's and Dodge's, looking all over the internet, and calling all over I got mine. It all started about 1 1/2 years ago when I told a friend of mine who deals with wrecked trucks (he smashes them the takes them to the scrap yard), to look out for any Dana 60's. He told me he usually see's one every few months, but he always just threw them out. I told him that if he saw any to call me. Well I saw him yesterday and asked him if he had seen any, he said he had'nt but he thought he knew were one was. A guy who was keeping some "junk" on his property had a few axles on the back of a tuck. I shot down there and there was a closed knuckle 44 and some other junk. Then after I was about to leave I saw the 60 just sitting there. But I had passed over it the first time beacuse it dosent look like like a normal 60 on the first glance. After inspecting it it's all right and is the right axle, but it had these like 8" wide wheel adapters on each side. I dont know what it's out of, but the spring pads look right and it's got a 60F cast in the housing. Everything else on the axle is all right. I just dont know what these wheel adapters are out of. Anyone know? Thanks WOOHOO I am so happy!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Dually axle?

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    but it had these like 8" wide wheel adapters on each side

[/ QUOTE ] Sounds like a dually D60 to me. Still a good find for the $$$ though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It is a dually axle with those adapters/spacers on it. It cant be made to work in your truck so you will just have to pass it on to me since I am looking for one of those for free /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like a dually. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Iwish I could get d60 for free yes you can swap out hubs but it's not cheap but seeing as how you got it for free

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Just run Hummer wheels... They have 7" of backspacing, so they'll eat up the extra width quite nicely /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I am going to just swap out the hubs etc, because I planned on paying a lot more for this axle,
    so I am just going to spend the money I have saved up for this axle, on converting it so 35 spline, 4.56's,
    detroit, etc. Can someone give me any guidence on where to get the right hubs etc? Also what does it take
    to convert it to 35 spline becasue I gotta start ordering stuff. I know about the stub shaft kits with the Warn hubs
    and 35 sp stub axle's but what about the carrier etc? Anyone selling any of this stuff? Thanks a ton. Later

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The carrier and inner axles are already 35 spline.

Good score!

Rene

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Someone bought the castings for the SRW hubs and has been selling brand new ones one e-bay. Probably end up costing you about $150-$200 each though. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif </font color>

11. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

What exactly does SRW stand for? Single Rear Wheel right? So someone is selling brand new SRW hubs
    on ebay? I cant seem to find them. Anyone got a link etc? Thanks for the help. Later

12. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Six States is the company that is selling them on Ebay. The Ebay seller name = "scotthafer" and the phone number in the description is 1-800-453-5703

CONGRATS on the excellent score! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Can someone give me any guidence on where to get the right hubs etc? Also what does it take
    to convert it to 35 spline becasue I gotta start ordering stuff. I know about the stub shaft kits with the Warn hubs
    and 35 sp stub axle's but what about the carrier etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

You already now about the 35 spline outer kit and that's all you need. No modifications are needed to run 35 spline outers on a GM Dana 60.
    The inner axleshafts are already 35 spline, as is the carrier, but your stock shafts will have a necked-down portion to them. You can run it like that or you can buy 35 spline inner shafts that are not necked down, a full 1.71" diameter. Part no 660182-5 and 660182-6.
    I'm waiting for the UPS guy to bring mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -- Mike

14. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

you can get your DRW hubs machined to SRW for $250 a pair at this place http://www.wagonermachine.com/ i had mine done there and they did one hellofa job.
    befor
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

15. 468ratman

468ratman Registered Member

16. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

is that rust bad for the hub, cause im looking for a 14B for a bud, and i saw a axle with rust on the hubs and on a little bit on the sxle shafts, and i did not know if it would be usable or not. thanks

17. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

No, its removable, unless its on the seal run, then you could end up having to sleve it, shoul;d be fine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Rene,
    since i know you know your stuff, what years had what for the 35 spline outters?
    i am looking at one for an 85, and was wondering fi it will be the skinny necked long shafts and the 30 splins axles or what?
    thanks for your time man.
    Grant

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm not Rene, but I know the answer to your question. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif All Chevy 60s have the 30 spline outers, and they went to the bulgy shafts in the early 80s. An 85 should have them unless they've been changed for some reason. </font color>

20. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

bulgy shafts as in the non neck down shafts right?
    grant