Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WOOHOO, Home Theater is in and almost all ready to go!! (pics inside)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 28, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well the TV is up, speakers are mounted, components are hidden, everything is almost good to go. I have a lot of audio programming to do and the universal remote needs to be programmed(it has a macros so you hit one button and it does a bunch of things automatically).

So here are the pictures.

Dad installing the tilting wall mount brackets:
    [​IMG]

The wall mount on the wall:
    [​IMG]

Wires for everything going to the TV, I was a monkey in the trusses for hours today:
    [​IMG]

The A/V receiver:
    [​IMG]

Subwoofer:
    [​IMG]

Components in the closet in the hall next to the living room:
    [​IMG]

What you see when you open the door:
    [​IMG]

Door closed:
    [​IMG]

The IR Repeater that makes the remote mounting possible:
    [​IMG]

Back Speakers up:
    [​IMG]

The room this is all in:
    [​IMG]

Center channel dad made a mount to put it on the top of the TV:
    [​IMG]

And FINALLY, the TV and front speakers as they are to be seen from now on:
    [​IMG]

We got the Phillips 42" HDtv with the Ambilight. That is what is lighting up the wall around the tv. Its kind of neat, though I forsee it being turned off.

I can go into details about any of this stuff if you guys want, just let me know.

2. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

3. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

hate to ask, but how much would you say this cost? When i buy a house im looking to do this same set up. Also, with your satilite being in the closet, is there any problems changing channels?

Also :P if you wanna play xbox and or ps2 or something, how would you manage that.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

after I messed with the IR Repeater emitters a bit there is no problem changing channels. Cost? uhh yeah... about $4,000.

5. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

4k, thats not bad at all man. Looks good. Ill be going that route soon i hope. When you did research, was there any weight issue's when hanging in to the wall.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the wall unit we have says 175lbs. Its lag bolted into 2 studs with 5 bolts. If we did it again I think we should have doubled the studs on each side, just for piece of mind. I'm not worried about it as it sits.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

gotta love the glow.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

DVD player is going back.

Toshiba SD-4980, don't buy it. It has screen artifacts all the time and randomly the whole screen turns to snow for a few seconds and sort of freezes(no display and no audio) but when it comes back it has skipped ahead like it was playing fine the whole few seconds it was gone.

I'm actually liking the ambilight. At first I kept watching it change and it distracted me, but after I got used to it I hardly notice it and kind of feel it does add a little something to the experience.

9. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

i like stuff that glows...how often does the ambilight change?

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

VERY often. It is somewhat amazing how fast and often it does. Whenever the majority screen color changes, it chances. Watching Wayne's World I'm not sure it knew what to make of it, was changing constantly.

You can change it so it glows a certain color and doesn't change all the time. I kind of liked the changing color thing though.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I love the hell out of my Samsung DVD player. 5 years with no problems....and it wasn't expensive.

Sweet looking setup!

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

gonna get the Sony Upconversion player if they have it. It is almost $50 more($140 something) but as I look at online product reviews on sites, it is the only one with NO bad feedback. The others have at least a few people saying some bad things about them. The Toshiba we bought however, has a LOT of people saying bad stuff that happens to be the exact same problems I've already experienced.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

NOTE: Logitech's Harmony remotes are pretty cool. I just programmed our Harmony 659 with everything needed for our setup. I press "watch DVD", it turns on the DVD player, the TV, the A/V reciever switches to DVD, and the cable box turns off. Press "Watch TV", the DVD player turns off, TV turns on, Cable Box turns on, A/V Reciever switches to CD(input I used for the cable box to the reciever so you can even adapt when you have to find your way around problems).

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Exchanged the Toshiba DVD player for a Sony unit. $50 more but I couldn't find a single bad review about it online. Dad got new rear speakers as well. He is going to replace the rear on wall units with two in ceiling ones on the slope of the cathedral ceiling.

Oh one thing I didn't note, out of the box one of the Yamaha speakers was dead. Doesn't matter since Dad used it as an excuse to upgrade to the in ceiling speakers, but still not very cool.

15. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Sweet! Is this a new house and you were able to select where you wanted the wall outlet, or did you have to have it retrofited there?

16. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

It looks great, I love the ambilite. How is it having the TV up higher than normal? I have never seen one in person that is above the fireplace like that, I figured it would make playing video games a little more difficult. Looks great though.

AL

17. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Looks good.

And i made a bracket EXACTLY like that to mount a center on my grandparents flatscreen..... :bow:

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that is a supper cool feature!!

the remote loaction for all the other componiants is sweet too reall cleans up the look of every thing.

all you need now is a kolidascope!

19. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Yeah, one of the things in this day in age of conspicuous consumption and one upmanship that I truly believe is a great investment is a good home theatre, from my $700 one to your $4000 one. Especially if you watch great movies and such

That reminds me, you need to, if you haven't already, go buy "Oldboy" you'll love it. Don't read any spoilers either, it's a mind ****.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

It was planned before Dad even started building the house so the wall outlet was there. He had run Coaxial cable to the tv spot as well, but first thing I did was cut that. No coax goes to the TV. It goes to the Cable box and from there it is an HDMI cable to the TV, another HDMI cable feeds the DVD signal to the TV as well. Next time around we got some ideas to make it a little better, nothing big, just some forethought we could have put into it if we had researched this all more.