Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

woohoo New tool box!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ben427, Sep 30, 2004.

1. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I'm stoked, my new tool box will be showing up at work in the morning, i cant wait to get rid of my crummy little one i have now. Im just getting the roll cab for now, and its 1.75 times larger than me top and bottom i have now!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif So I'll put all my stuff in the new one and later ill get a matching top.
    Linky:
    http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=69843&group_ID=17806&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My brother has that box. VERY NICE! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I dont mean to rain on your parade, so dont take this the wrong way, but why would you spend so much money on something that doesnt make you any money. A big lesson I learned in tech school when it comes to buying tools is only invest in things you can get your money back out of. Spend that 6 grand on tools instead of the thing that holds it and you will be much better off in my opinion. There are toolboxes that size for less than 1000 bucks that do the same job, who cares if the other guys in the shop dont think its cool. I hope its not too late to change your mind.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

6,050 bucks.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifIs that with tools... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. BlueBlazer

Uh, no. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    6,050 bucks.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifIs that with tools... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yikes! I'd NEVER spend that much money on a tool box, you could hire someone to build the exact same one for $3000 MAX. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    6,050 bucks.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Is that with tools... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    If that don't come with the tools, that had better at least come with the Snap-On girl.....thats more money than I'd ever spend on a box.

8. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I think the reason a lot of guys buy the Snap-on and Mac boxes is cause the tool companies finance or you can make weekly payments with no money down. Even a box big enough from say Craftsman will be expensive and unless you put them on a charge card it aint leaving the store. At least this is what a few mechanic friends have told me why they buy them.

9. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I Know exactly what your sayin, I dont splurge on myself often, so this is a treat, I darn near have everything i need, aside from Good guages (hyd) and a comm link. I have about 16K in tools and there not all snapon, lots of mastercraft maximum and craftsman, any special or larger tool are Cat, Snap on, or S-K. I want a good durable toolbox thatll hold everything and can be safely locked unlike my old box.

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Oh and im not sure why the box is that expensive in US, it list for 5,400 canadian, and i got it for less than 5k canadian, not sure why its higher in US. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Oh and Pappa B, A lot of guys finance, but I'm payin cash, so he gave me a sweet deal on it /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I cant see why people would finance something like that through a company with tiny payment ad interet that can end up being as much as the cost of the box.

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i have that one in red..

believe me, when you load every drawer down with tons of tools and they actually slide even better than empty, you'll appreciate the quality... i certainly do when i'm in and out of it all day...

[​IMG]

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont mean to rain on your parade, so dont take this the wrong way, but why would you spend so much money on something that doesnt make you any money. A big lesson I learned in tech school when it comes to buying tools is only invest in things you can get your money back out of. Spend that 6 grand on tools instead of the thing that holds it and you will be much better off in my opinion. There are toolboxes that size for less than 1000 bucks that do the same job, who cares if the other guys in the shop dont think its cool. I hope its not too late to change your mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesnt make you any money? when you put as many tools in it as it takes to make a living turning wrenches, the cheaper boxes just dont hold up. i have a Craftsman i bought in January when i started wrenching, now it is too small, and pretty much trashed. i'm buying a bigger Craftsman box from a guy at work, because A) its bigger than i have now, and B) its a screaming good deal. twice the box for half of what i paid for mine. my next box will be a Snap On or a Mac. you figure if you get a box big enough to hold a decent amount of tools from Craftsman, it will cost you around a grand, and its trashed after a year. so the following year you buy another. after a few years, you have spent enough on boxes to have just bought one good one. Snap On boxes have a lifetime warranty.

14. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

the tech I work for has this box, http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/Pro.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=17807&Group_name=KRLP7022+Series+Tool+Wagon+Workstations&Cat_ID=2708824&Cat_NAME=Tool+Storage&Sub_Cat_ID=2709029&Sub_Cat_NAME=Krlp+Series+%2F+Tool+Wagons&store=snapon-store

The box is FREAKING HUGE! barely holds all of his tools, but I can also attest to having a nice box that holds up to day-day use. The Slide and lock drawers that the Snap on boxes have is very nice, my tool box at home has to be propped up because the drawers slide open since htey dont have that great of latching system's, and its one of those "nice" $700 stainless steel boxes from costco.

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

That is a nice tool box. I have to agree with some of the other posts though. I wouldn't but to each his own. I like to go to auctions and the like and pick up gently used tool boxes for a fraction of the new cost. There is a swap meet yearly up in Michigan and they always have gobs of tools and such. Good stuff just overrun on inventory so it goes cheap.

16. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I used to make a living out of my box. I got a custom Matco long box and side box. It is purple with a custom mural on the lower doors. I spent a pretty penny on them and never ever regreted it. It makes a big diferrence openeing a drwaer that everything fits in neatly and works like smooth oil!! I say congradulations!!!

17. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

DAMN!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

That is one helluva Box!!!!!! I don't think I could ever explain a purchase like that to the wife.

"Um, Honey? I just bought this $6000 box to put my $500 worth in tools in it. Is that O.K.?" /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

But seeing that you have over 16K in tools. I don't see a problem buying a 6K box to store and lock them in. Nice buy!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Thats okay....i tried for years to get by with a craftsman box....the big bottom in red was $500 and $300 for the top...it worked well until the bottom fell out of it...so i bought a snap on KRL 1003 in red...and the hood with the hinged doors for the top of it. And its full of tools....and it was all paid off until i gotr a wild hair last month and spent the $1800 for the full length side cab....so now i owe again....lol. being a diesel tech i can use all the room.

DW

19. BlueBlazer

Uh, no, the toolbox does not make you any money, how could it? The toolbox I use at work was provided for me and was made by the fabricators in my building, probably wasnt more than 1000 bucks to make and holds all my tools just fine. You know as well as I do the only reason guys get Snap On boxes and the like is to look "cool" in the eyes of their coworkers.

20. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

storage dose make it easyer to get your tools so easyer to work on stuff faster easyer money.

if a tool box makes no differance why don't you just dump all your stuff in a few big rubber maid boxs?
    my bosses mastercraft box is loaded down and dosent open worth a crap you have to fight it closed.

if i mad a living with my tool i would buy the best because You will only buy it once, becaused in 25 years it will still be opening smoth but you could be on your 3ed el cheapo box /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    my 02 cents