Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WooHoo the crate motor lit...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mike87, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Mike87

Mike87 Registered Member

Well, good news is that I got the crate motor in and it runs. Problem is that it runs hot. When I first started it, it ran up to almost the red and sat there. As I ran it more and drove it, it settled down just over half way. (my gauge does not have numbers) Bad t-stat? This morning on the way to work, it ran into the red before falling back to half way. The old engine never ran even half way.

Could this also be because it is new and tight?

Generic crate motor with Edelbrock 2102 cam. Performer intake and 1902 Q-jet carb.

Mike (#87)

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Silly question for you, Have you topped of the water since you put it in initially?

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Yeah I would check the coolant level. When you first fill it, you are basically filling only the radiator. After it runs, that coolant also circulates through the engine and the heater core. That will knock your level down to about half the radiator. If you have, I don't mean to offend. Just trying to help.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Yer sending unit could be grounding out, bad t-stat, possible the valves being lashed wrong?

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

5. Mike87

Mike87 Registered Member

I did top off the cooling system after it was run. The sender is new. I was originally given one for a light instead of a guage, but have one for a guage now. I guess it could be bad from the box.

As far as valve lash, I tightened them til they quit making noise, then 1/4 turn more. Should I check them again?

Does it take some time for the motor to develop all it's power? Maybe I was expecting too much, but it seems a little light on power.(although it does have more than the old one)

Thanks,
    Mike (#87)

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You might also get a temp guage just to test the guage you have. Sounds like you lashed the valves right.
    A motor usually takes around 500 miles to break in. The rings have to seat, etc. Some take longer. I know of a guy who's new motor burned oil, was weak, and got bad milage for 3000 miles, then it broke in and he had all kinds of power.

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

7. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

Faulty new t-stats are common. Its also possable you have one with the wrong temp range. T-stats are cheap and easy to change, its probbaly worth it to try a new one.

8. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

If you installed an after market cam in the crate motor, are you sure the cam is timed correctly. If it's too far advanced you can have heating problems caused by cam timing. Cam should have been installed straight up. Also, are you certain thermostat is installed correctly? Wouldn't be the first one to install it upside down. Check ignition timing, should be 6-10 degrees BTDC, about 30-34 total advance.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

9. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

On the power thing, give it time to break in. After 500 or so miles, you should notice a pretty big difference. But be easy on it for the first 500 miles. If you dont let the rings seat properly, it may smoke for the rest f its life. Trust me, i know.