Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WOOOOHOOOO...Just got off the phone with ORD!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SchnorrCS, Jan 25, 2007.

1. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Oh yea....Finally got the funds together to fix my truck. ordered the 2.5 inch shackle flip and Tuff Country springs for the truck. Deceided to go 2.5 instead of 4 cause I already run 36 with not much lift and ALOT of fender trimming, and they only rub at full stuff, so why not. Try and keep it a little bit lower. Also got the greasable parts for the rear. Pretty excited. Also, anybody thats done a shackle flip before, what kind of headaches can I look forward to when I'm doing this? Anything else I forgot?

cS

2. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Trying to avoid dropping the gas tank was the biggest headache for me. Otherwise it was simple. Doing it again, I would've just dropped the tank and be done with it.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Amen. Drop the tank, at least partially ... good time to check the fuel lines back there.

Torch for the old bushings, or lotsa 1/8" drill bits.

Greaseable is the shiznit.

Read up on rivet-killing.

Other than that, have fun!

-- A

4. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

What size are the oem bushings?

5. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Rivets. I had the best luck in removing rivets by hitting them with a center punch, drilling out the middle (3/16 or 1/4 bit), removing the rest of the rivet head with a fresh (air) chisel, and punching the body of the rivet out the other side (air hammer).

I unbolted the tank straps and lowered the tank just enough so I could sneak in there and place the bolts - didn't disco any lines, just had to remove the stock skid plate.

Old spring rubber bushings are 'fun' as well...:D

6. matneyr

matneyr Registered Member

Dibs on removing the gas tank. Just get that sucker out of there, and out of the way. I wasted a good hour trying to install the shackle flips with the gas tank in the way. Here's a link to a web site with some pictures my girl took of my brothers and I installing this kit on a 84 Suburban:http://laura.zerompg.com/suburban-lift

I used a torch to get all the rivets, bushings, and everything else out. Worked well. We actually installed the entire lift on one day!

7. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yea, I forgot about the rivets. Those were time consuming, but not difficult. At first I just tried grinding the heads off which would have taken forever. I ended up putting a cutting wheel on the angle grinder and slicing the head off and then using a center punch to hammer it out of the frame. I also tried drilling them out which worked ok in a few spots that I couldn't get the cutting wheel. I did it all in one day though.

8. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

yeah, drive the truck till your tanks pretty damn low, it will make it easier, gotta drop the tank, no biggie though, well worth it. i just drilled out the rivets and chiseled the heads off

9. Mr.Jimmy

Mr.Jimmy Registered Member

The new parts might change your pinion angle enough to give you a vibration. It did to me with a 4" flip.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

The absolute EASIESt way tog et a rivet off is to grind off the head and the wedge a very large flathead screw drive between the bracket/ frame. They pop right of. 1 bracket should take 10 -15 minutes.

11. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies. I was kinda ready to drop the tank, and every other time I have done rivets, I use a cutting wheel to cut an X in the head then hit it with an air chissel. No good tips on the old bushings? Are you guys saying to burn them out with a torch? Don't see why that wouldn't work....

12. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Also, you think 2 inches will mess with the pinion angle that much? Looking at it, I kinda thought it might set it about right...

13. 1982blazer

1982blazer 1/2 ton status

Im a noob and i also plan on installing a shackle flip soon when yall say torch the bushing you mean the one the in leaf spring eye right?

Edit: or do i need new ones for the shackles

14. dremu

When I did my 4" ORD shackle flip, my pinion angle was fine, no vibes at highway speeds even, and I didn't have a torch for the old bushings :(

-- A

15. dremu

Yep, the one in the spring eye.

http://www.coloradok5.com/ordflipreview.shtml

The flip just, well, flips the shackle DOWN instead of up. You COULD use your old bushings, but since you have them accessible, why not put in the nice greasbles, which alone should net you a bunch of flex.

-- A

16. 1982blazer

1982blazer 1/2 ton status

I need to order new rear 52 inch 2" lift srpings, I already have a 6 inch lift on the k5 and i already have the shackle flip i guess i need to order new greasble bushings for my stock shackle, thanks for the info.

17. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

Here's another link that may help you; it's from the tech article section.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186606

jiminycricket wrote this up. It's for the DIY kit, not ORDs, but the concept is the same. Also, he did it to his pick-up so no pesky fuel tank in the way.

Good luck!

18. matneyr

matneyr Registered Member

Yeah, I burned them out with a torch--be careful not to overheat the spring eye. I also used a torch for the rivets in the frame, that was by far the easiest way for me. Be careful with your wiring harness and make sure its out of the way.

19. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

GMCJason-I'm in Longmont now too. What part are you in? My truck is the black k5 on 36s that says jeep recovery unit on the side. Seen it?

20. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

I'm in northeast corner of town at about 21st and Alpine. As far as seeing your truck goes I can't say that I've seen it. I usually pay attention when a built rig goes by so I'll be looking.

Are you living here now or just visiting?

Jason