Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WooooHOOOOOO!! I ain't got no wires!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Nov 10, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

WooooHOOOOOO!! I ain\'t got no wires!

I'm typing this freestanding in my living room, no wires tying me down!

I just set up my wireless router (after having it in a box for a couple weeks), and I'm cruisin!

Gotta go walk up and down my block now and see where I lose signal... See if my neighbors star trying to hack me...

This is gonna kick arse in the truck!!

Anyone here ever go WarDriving?

2. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Re: WooooHOOOOOO!! I ain\'t got no wires!

Sweet, I was just looking at laptop's today so I can surf from the comfort of my Lazy boy in the living room /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif What the hell is war driving?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm into IBM computers, I've got a IBM desktop, and IMB laptop. Don't have the wireless set up yet, but sounds like fun. Might have too look into that.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't know much about it, but supposedly, it's when guys get these wireless cards and add beefy antenna's, then drive around looking for networks to jump into...

I'm using a Sony Vaio from work, my battery isn't what it used to be. I only get about 2 hours compared to my old 3. I commute 2 hours a day, too, so it's gonna stink when it gets to less than 2 hours, I'll have to charge up at night or get a second battery...

Go wireless, it rocks!! Just make sure you enable and configure security so you don't get any freeloading nieghbors!

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That's funny, since I am surfing in the comfort of my La-Z-Boy right now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif No wireless yet though, I just have a couple of network cables running out of the office and down the stairs so my wife and I can use the laptops in front of the TV. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font color>

6. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

what can these "freeloader's" do beside hog your bandwidth? I've seen where they go out and mark sidewalk's and stuff.

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Congrats on getting it all setup, what router did you use?
    My whole network is setup on wireless right now and its awesome, I even have my playstation plugged into so i can play with it in the internet.

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have been surfin from my couch for the past 3 years

9. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i have been surfin from my couch for the past 3 years

[/ QUOTE ] You need to go wireless so you can surf and roll a window down fartsacker /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

If you set up your wireless router correctly (IP based addressing) there is not much to worry about. All you have to do is setup an IP address for the router, set the same on the laptop and all the others are blocked out. So even if someone driving round catches the signal they can't get on and surf or look at your machines.
    The plug and play on these wireless systems are great, but take a couple hours, read up on security and look through the manufacturers page to see how to correctly setup a system.
    I'm running 5 computers on my home network and looking into the wireless router and PCMCIA card from d-link 2.4 ghz setup. A little more money but supposed to be a little more secure.

11. TITAN

TITAN 1/2 ton status

You could do it like I do, I just built a box sith S-video to set on top of the big screen. I look at shows or the computer using the PIP to makes sure I don't miss anything on the other, and I use a Logitech wireless mouse and key board. Let me rephrase that I used to do it that way. The wife and kids voted that out after the novelty wore off. But I have to say that 52"'s makes a game a whole lot more fun! now I just have a flat top desk and it is turned so that I can see it from my office. I still steal it from time to time for a game or two.

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    after the novelty wore off

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah tried that, I'm very graphic oreinted I didn't care for the looks of the TV. I have the Matrox g400 dual head card I run dual monitors most of the time but I have had the second monitor setup for video out and used it on my 32" tv in my room but it got old after a short time. I like my vaio though I dont use it much anymore since I just built my new pc and started case modifications.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    dual monitors and vaio

13. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

damn i want that. lol. sounds cool. later.

jacob

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm using a Netgear, although I have a Linksys at work that I like better, that one has bayonne connectors to extend the antenna if you get nutty (which I might want, depending on my range to the garage)...

JJ, I have a 16+ node ip network in my house, running under Active Directory (I'm a network engineer). I'm sort of limited/forced to use DHCP over the wireless router because of the rest of the network, and the fact that I use the wireless machine on 4 different networks. I'm not terribly worried about security (but I do plan to pick up a couple more wireless cards and try to hack myself), I set the box up to only communicate with my wireless mac address. If someone figures that out, they'll still have to get active directory credentials on my net to do anything but surf over my cable line.

I'm not using the box for cable routing, just wireless-to-wired bridging. Just about every feature on it is turned off except mac filtering. I didn't even enable higher than 40-bit encryption (of course my card won't support any higher right now)...

GotMud/Mark, the less malevolent will hog your bandwidth. Smarter, more criminal minded folks will commit crimes over your line that can be traced back to you (your IP, which your provider can track). If they can get into your machine(s), they can hack them up just for kicks, plant virus, spy, or robot software (stuff used in denial-of-service attacks on internet sites). Basically, a good rule of thumb to follow is:
    If you can identify your computer on the open internet, you can probably be hacked. Being wireless without security makes you visible to unknown users, basically the same as surfing the internet without any sort of firewall.

Being a nice guy and letting people use your bandwidth is fine and would be nice, but there's a big risk involved underneath it.

15. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Thank's for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, look's like I got a little researching to do. got any recommended reading?