Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

woot woot!!!! im getting a running small block for $300

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Sep 13, 2004.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

a guy up in cedar city is selling it, and im picking it up on sunday. it runs a hell of a lot better than the one in my suburban, so im swappin em out. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Good deal you found there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I recently bought a 1986 305 from a friend in a chevy van he was going to scrap for 200 bucks,he helped me chop it out of the van,I was lucky to find a running small block,anything pre 86 in the junkyards are usually scrap because they have been left open to the weather--I saw countless 350's with cracked blocks and rain water up to the top of the carb--such a waste--why cant people shut the hoods on the wrecks they take parts from!? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    This 305 had a rusted out oilpan,the nylon cam gear teeth were clogging the oilpump screen,I noticed that when I went to change the pan--ended up replacing the timing chain and gears,oil pump,oil pump driveshaft(upgraded to a steel sleeved one,the nylon dewhickey was cracked),new oilpan and gasket--I've got over 300 invested easy,the motor runs nice,but it needs valve stem seals--it smokes for about 20 seconds in the morning after the first start.Since just about every smallblock chevy in the world does this,I'm in no rush to fix it--in fact,I think its better to let it smoke a little--at least its not a "dry start",I'd rather know its got some lubrication!
    If I were financially well off,I'd intercept some of the cars and trucks they are scrapping,since scrap is 60 bucks a ton,everything here is getting crushed,and save some of the smallblock chevy older motors,and the dana 60 front ends in the 1 tons they literally throw away,and hoard them--they will be bringing good money at swap meets from now on--the days of buying a good used chevy motor for cheap money are over--now its becoming a witch hunt just to get one that still runs--period!.The same can be said for chevy transfer cases,axles,and even 76-87 truck parts,they arent saving hardly any of them anymore! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I love Cedar. One of my favorite places on Earth. Pretty extreme downhill mountain biking just 30 minutes away. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. muddysub

pretty awesome quad riding and camping near by too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Who'd ya buy it from? I might know them.

7. muddysub

a guy named tim wilson in cedar city.