Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wore out 10 Bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dlaw36, Aug 20, 2004.

1. dlaw36

dlaw36 Registered Member

Let me start by saying that this rear end has 400,000 miles on it and on the glove box where the codes are listed, it says that it has a locking diff. I pulled the inspection plate off and the top and bottom spider gears seemed loose to me. They turn about 1/4" each direction. (400,000 miles?) and 1 tooth was chipped on the axle side.
    My question is: Is is normal to have alot of slack in those spiders for having so many miles? (and not caring if it blows up - just to upgrade to 14 bolts) - Would it be safe to still drive on the road until I do the upgrade? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would say you are prolly on borrowed time with that rear it sounds pretty beat. Some slop in the spiders is normal especially with some type of locker. If it's factory locker (gov-lock G-80 code) it's prolly trashed. With the addition of a chiped tooth I would say it will go soon. As for being safe the biggest danger when a semi floating rear end (c-clips) breaks and you lose a c-clip you can lose you entire axle brake wheel tire while you are driving. That = crash /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I would keep an eye on it and start hunting for that replacement 14B or whatever. Maybe even see if ya can pick up an old 10b or 12B from somebody on here for dirt cheap ( I just sold my rear for $10 /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif) just to get ya by till ya find what you need/want /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. dlaw36

dlaw36 Registered Member

Thanks, I'd better not press my luck. I think that I will just pick up a 12 bolt somewhere, that is all I would ever need.

4. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yea i say its time to get a replacement asap. it the axle doesn't slide out it would definatly lock up on you and that is pretty crappy when that happens. it happen to a uncle of my buddy.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

400k DAMN. I must say that some last FOREVER, and most dont. My buddies had no problems and either did my grandpa. I cant remember that good because most come in blown up, but one I did, the side gears moved in there a little. One had a chipped tooth, so we replaced it with an Eaton.

6. dlaw36

dlaw36 Registered Member

Yep, it is a G-80. Seems like my ring and pinion are ok. What are my options -
    1) Weld the spiders and run the crap out of it? (cheapest)
    2) Replace with a spool?
    3) Replace with a lock-rite?
    4) or find a used axle and rebuild?

any suggestions?

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Replace it with an Eaton.