Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Work or school?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by outlawtorn, Dec 21, 2005.

1. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Well im in a tight spot... I was working a job up until last weekend. I quit because my grades were slipping a bit since i was working till 11 and i really didnt have time for homework.

Here's the dealio... Im in highschool (im 17) and i really dont need the money but its nice to have. My blazer isnt running and i drive a camaro for a dd so winter driving blow's ass. I need close to 2 grand to get the blazer moving and the camaro needs stuff like injector's, new exhaust and other bs that goes out randomnly. I love to drive and i miss my blazer... its been 5 months or more since i drove it last. I live with only my mom and she doesnt have much money to spare due to our new house, car payment, bills etc... so i hardly get enough money from her for gas. I dont blame her she has alot on her plate so its kind of a ****ty deal.

But on the flip side im failing 2 classes and another im not to worried about.

I was thinking about picking up another job that works me less hours and not so late in the night. What do you think i should do?

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I say get your schooling straightened out first thing, otherwise you might not be able to get a job when you need a job. Work part time, maybe 20 hours a week.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Skool fool...

4. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's what I'd do not get an education, then I could flip burgers or some minimum wage job for the rest of my life. At seventeen you need to be concerned about school not whether you can ride around and hang out! Start studying kid.

fred2mihi

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

what did you think about when you were 17?

ditch the job, go part time, and focus when you are in class

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get an education. The Blazer can wait. If you quit school now, you will always regret it. It never gets any easier and it gets harder to go back every year.

7. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I know what you're going through in a way. My parents didnt give me any money for my truck. I had to get a job to pay for gas, parts, and going out with friends.

I would find a job that doesnt work you so many hours so that you can study. School should be the biggest priority.

One of the great things about working during school is that you learn time managment,which helps out a lot later in life.

Hey and if you got trouble with your homework post it up! I know I would take a look at it and see if I can help ya and Im sure many others would to.

8. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I would just get the classes straightened out, then find a part time job. Most teachers are understanding if you show dedication and that you can actually work. Once your grades are back up, go look for a part time job doing dick all, and study and do homework while "minding the shop"

Baisically think of it this way, your working hard to get a good job to give your blazer all the things it needs, like 1 tons, lockers, some 40's, crossover... you know the essentials ;)

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sean, PM me, I'm sure for a decent cut of your check I could boost your grades considerably. :D

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

As long as one of his classes isn't a programming class? ;)

11. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

School man, school. I was recently in the same situation as you, although it was college and not high school, but I finally pulled my head outta my ass and I'm starting classes on Jan 9th. Stay in school, otherwise you're gonna end up living paycheck to paycheck, and from my limited experience with that, it ain't fun.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Well, you could sell one of the cars. That means you don't need to pay insurance on it either. I didn't have the car I wanted when I was in H.S. (it was a piece of crap), but looking back I proud to say I bought the car, the gas, & the insurance.

I bring this up because everyone will tell you think about your education and the future. But I remember when I was in H.S. those things were not realy what was on my mind.

I hope together we can convince you to put school first.

13. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

school is far more important than a short term gain at a low paying job.

14. outlawtorn

The thought of dropping out has never crossed my mind... i dont wanna drop school at all lol. What i was basically asking was should i keep a job or just forget about it till later. From what ive read ive scrapped together that i should maybe just get a job with less hours but for the most part you guys are saying just no work at all or?

15. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

skoo.

16. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Make school your focus, part time job for gas & whatever. The big $$ projects will be waiting for you when you have a full time job. Trust us and be the man at your house, It's not your mom's job to keep you in gears and lockers. ( sorry, old fart advice, " back when I was a kid"...)

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree completely. Funny how you old farts get smarter every year.

18. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

whay you need is a part time job at a dry cleaners..they close early, closed sundays and if you get lucky you can goof off on ck5 all afternoon and do your home work.

My friend grant worked at one and he said it was the best goof off job a high schooler could have:D

19. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

Best goof off job a high schooler could have would be the runner for a lawfirm...lol...trust me on that one. When i did run for the lawyer last year, it counted as a class credit and i got out at 1:50 every day which was an hour earlier. I would get off between 5 and 6 almost every single day. There was less than 5 days i was there after 6 in the 10 months i worked there. It didn't pay much but it covered ALL my gas and then some. I was workin about 15-20 hrs a week, got off before 6 every day, had plenty of time to do any parts shoppin or whatever i needed WHILE getting paid for it...it was an almost perfect job. Really, you are in high school, do good in there, atleast try to graduate in the top half of your class, work part time, 15-20 hrs a week, itll give you about 100$ a week spending money and give you plenty of time to do your studying...that will teach you real quick how to save up for what you want and i was able to acutally buy almost all the lift parts last year working that job. Theres plenty of places that will let you work 3 or 4 hours a day RIGHT after school, from 3:30 till 6:30 or 7:00...might not be the most glamourous job out there, but it pays the bills and lets you do good in school...like others have said, don't kill yourself putting a ton of time into a job that pays minium...when you get out of college and get that job that pays 20$ an hr, you will want to work ur ass off then, not at something that pays 5.15.

20. outlawtorn

I was a runner for my mom's lawfirm for 2 summers but they hired a kid and he's stuck there for close to a year now :crazy: I was also a fileclerk there but they dont need me anymore lol.

Ill look into getting a job at a dry cleaner.... that never even crossed my mind lol.