Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

work update

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Mar 20, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

how is work going?

I turned .6 hours so far today.... a PCM reflash on an 03 Lancer. Needed a 60K service but I could tell by the B.O. stink in the car, "if they don't spend money on soap, why service your car?"

Last week I turned 20 some hours. Its partly my being slow, mostly the work not being there. I like working on Mitsus(as compared to the Fords that are our main business), but we get little to no business on them lately. I'm forseeing looking for a new dealership job soon. Sounds like everywhere you go is like this at the moment though.

2. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I don't forsee a job in a month or two, soley based on the lack of work.

There were some PDIs to be done later in the day, the head honcho decided myself and another Mitsu tech couldn't do them because they were Ford PDIs and some of the Ford techs were slow too. Well he didn't say that but we have both done Ford PDIs and there is no reason we can't do them other than that. Then it turns out that the service I tried to upsell on the ONE car I workd on today, was actually OKed and no one bothered to tell me or anyone else on my damn team. Even after I asked the guy who wrote up the work order about it(he didn't tell me until hours later). So I stood around and twiddled my thumbs all day.

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Do you get paid a base shop hourly pay, or does there have to be work for you to get paid? If there's a base hourly pay, I'd stay there. Other places won't pay you at all if there's no work to clock onto.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

thats gotta suck sitting around all day waiting for work...

At one point i was supposed to go work for a Caddy bodyshop... The reason i didn't was one of the mechanics was telling me why the last guy left. the guy running the bodyshop would take all the killer booktimes, work 35 hrs a week and get paid 60.. and the newer guy had gotten all the opposite, tons of hrs and 30 hrs pay... no thanks.... :(

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

at the moment I am garaunteed(garaunteed 40 hours a week pay). However within this week I am going Flat Rate(paid for only what I do, not how long I'm there). This may have been my first day of Flat Rate and I was treating it as such, but I don't think it really is.

So yeah, if there is no work, I get paid nothing for being there. YAY...

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

that suck dude. we are slow cuz its winter(or so they say it is) and with detroit relying on the auto industry. if they slow down we slow down.the auto workers are this areas bread and butter.if they get layed off the last thing they are thinking about is a new roof or siding.

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Did they put you on flat rate by themselves, or did you request it? If they put you on it after this much time, find another shop that will let you be hourly till you get some experience. We have to request to be flat-rate only when our production hours to billed hours equals 100% to ensure you don't lose money.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its their choice, but it is the way all the shops around here are. If I went to a truck shop it would be hourly or the way you said, but I'm not diesel or big truck trained. Though I am inspecting them at work(even though I only have a Class C license, someone else signs).

10. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

glad to see that you are sticking with it.

11. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Registered Member

Ah the days of the stealership, Enough work for 4 techs and they have 8 fighting for work. I miss those days. Good luck I hope things will turn around for ya ..