Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Work...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 27, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well after sitting on the couch with my laptop trying to fix a problem at work for the last 2 hours, I have to get ready and go in.

I was trying to unofficially take this week off (it's 3 days). I didn't put up an "Out of office" message, didn't exactly tell anyone I wouldn't be around (except my boss and disaster cover guy), just figured there would be so few people in the office, I could lay low and answer any calls quick and easy from my work at home setup...

So a freakin switch failed this morning. Could I just say whatever and worry about it next week? Nope, naturally, there's a server on this switch that 6 NYC sites need to connect to constantly. And the failover I set up for instances like this is apparently failing...

Ah whatever, enough grumbling... Maybe I'll get a chance to pick up some neat street sale junk...

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Trade your socks for a gold tooth, it'll be worth something someday. You have enough socks already.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

How do you know that he does not have enough gold teeth? Maybe that's why he always wears that helmet.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

:haha: :rotfl: ........................:thinking:

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm on my winter layoff as of yesterday.. tho i'm more than likely not going back when they call us in in feb... filed my temp unemplyment this morn...

was supposed to go do a side gig today, but blew it off till the morn... full day of slacking today... :wink1:

got a heep coming in next week for some work.. love doing paint work outta the house... work couple hrs, take a break, work, take a nap, etc... :haha:

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Are you finally calling it quits for good?

7. ryoken

yeah, i'm about 95% that i'm not going back.. after screwing me royally all year, no vacay pay, got screwed outta a couple holidays, short hrs and him just being a douche everyday, he gave us a x-mas bonus, go figure... not great, 30 hrs, but a huge surprise..

doesn't change much tho. i want a job where you get time and a half, couple weeks vacay, some help with ins, etc... he'd have to make a hella offer... he might.. but his buddy he hired that i hate is another issue i doubt i want to deal with...

got a few leads.. i can either go work for bro's buddy as an apprentice electrician at $15 to start.. but i'd have to move, which i'm considering..

i will give the marine field one last shot and shop my wares to interested marinas down here and see if something looks good... i'd like to do more as a service manager than killing myself daily.. shrinkwrap season just kicked my arse... 40 more boats than usual, hmm, i deserved the x-mas bonus... :doah: :haha:

oops, my bad on the hijack...:doah:

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Good luck on the job hunt, be nice if you found one you liked.

Hijack? Ratch doesn't care, he's watching us from the 40th floor window. :D

9. ryoken

thank ya sir... big deal for me... hate changing jobs, been there 13 yrs now...

one thing i realized was, if i do go be an electrician, i'll end up with a 60 grand Crap On rig in the garage for home use... :wink1:

[waves out window to Ratch] :D

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Changing jobs sucks but you have enough accumulated skill to go somewhere else and be treated with a little dignity. If your going to kill yourself at work may as well be happy doing it. :D

Ratch waves back but wait....he's , he's losing his balance. NNNNOoooooooooooo - he falls out the window. AAhhhhhh plumeting into the concrete below.

But wait. He gets up - SAVED BY THE HELMET!

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

And you mock me for it!

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

well that sucks RATCH. but just think how important you are!:D they need you to run the show.:bow:

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

you do marine work?as in mechanic?if so come to michigan,they can never find enough people.if you break your boat in june,you will prolly get it back in october.:mad: :mad: they need help bad,all you hear is commercials about getting the skills to get that job.

14. ryoken

thanks, but i really want to stay instate for family, etc...

its a wierd trade... boating industry is usually 20 yrs behind everything else.. alot of shady places and charachters living in the past... i have a few contacts i need to call...