Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Workbench plans

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by jarheadk5, Mar 15, 2006.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Found this while researching my airplane. Nice, solid design, and you can change dimensions to whatever you need or prefer.

EAA Chapter 1000 workbench

Enjoy!

2. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

Built one!

I've built a bench from these plans. I'm 6' 4" so I made the legs long enough to give me a 42" top height. It made a great bench.
    Ronnie

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

A couple days late, I just about finished mine but its playing double duty, as I like woodworking as well.
    Worksurface
    3(ft) front to back
    5.5(ft)across
    top deck is 1.5" thick (1-3/4"sheet marine plywood 1-3/4" sheet red oak)

Stand
    Legs are 4x6's
    Bracing is 2x6's and 2x4's

Misc
    1 lb #9 3 1/2" deck screws
    1 lb #8 3" deck screws
    1 lb #7 1-1/4" deck screws
    wood glue

All the joints and surfaces were clamped and wood glued before I screwed them down, I pilot holed all holes where I used #9 and #8 screws. The removable steel plate is 1/4" x 8" x 18". This will double later as the surface to mount my plunge router in. The vice is a 6" with the anvil plate.

I still need to run a couple coats of polyurathane to the whole deck and let it run in the joining cracks on the main deck. I have 1x6's to trim the plywood edges but I may just leave it off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm still not final on my final vice position, I kinda want to mount it vertically on the left front leg

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

new pic a little dirtied up but with the top polyurathaned and my vice and press mounted

[​IMG]

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

one big reccomendation from expierience with working on alot of tables is allow your self alot of overhang to easily clamp pieces to the table.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yes, overhang for clamping and I will never have another work table/bench without a quick mount receiver. It is just simply too handy. And put a piece of chanel (or angle with oriented like a "V") on the end with the top below the surface. Use that to lay pencils, scribes, drill bits, whatever in. And power strips down the front edge to make it easy plugging in stuff without going across what your working on, invariably getting in the way or snagged. And all the way across the back side, peg board and/or storage bins. For the price, I like the larger angled yellow bins from HF, usually around $30 on sale. Though steel is better if you want to drop the cash, and you can get those from Enco pretty cheap. And finally, add quick holster/hangers under the front ledge for things you use a lot. I've got (or had) some for my drill motor and grinders to keep them handy (to pick up without looking or turning loose what I'm working on) but off the top.