Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Working on a 2/4 bolt SBC database...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Dec 5, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't think I've dedicated a post to this before, but I've been working on a theory of mine.

Since suffix codes are application specific (in almost all cases, few exceptions were they recycled) including year, vehicle, and HP, I thought *perhaps* that would also indicate whether a vehicle got a 2 or 4 bolt block.

Well, so far, I've not been proven wrong. (heh, one instance of duplicate suffix codes/# of main cap bolts) The database certainly isn't huge, so it is NOT authoritative yet, (I figure a few more of each suffix code that fits the pattern will prove it) but just something I'm working on, and need peoples help with.

If anyone working on a Chev V8 would like to contribute, I just need the casting number, suffix code, number of main bolts, and any other "special" markings, such as "010" or "020".

Here is where you find the numbers: http://www.mortec.com/location.htm

And this is what I've got so far:
    http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/suffix.html

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Not what your looking for but the guy at the mach9ine shop who builds motors for the track.. says alot of the guy's have switched to 2 bolt blocks, they splay the caps, (bolts at an angle) and are stronger than a 4 bolt main due to more material present...

mine is a 4 bolt cast number 14010207

3. dyeager535

Yes, IMO the 2/4 bolt difference really isn't worthwhile to seek one or the other out anymore.

The way I feel, 4 bolts are better than 2 just for stability in a "lightly used" engine with stock bolts, (the clamping load is spread out a bit more) not raced, built really strong, etc., but for all out, you go splayed, or simply get an aftermarket block. Realistically, the power levels that a 2 bolt block can handle are well above what most people run on the street. Had a buddy break a main cap bolt in a 2 bolt race motor, but they were old stock bolts, so what do you expect? : )

Besides, the crank tries to force itself down, (more wear on the lower main bearings) the main cap bolts in 2 bolt blocks are in the same position in the cap/block as the inner 4 bolt setup AFAIK, so with the crank exerting downward force on the main cap, the load will be highest on the inner bolts anyways. (basically trying to pull them out)

At least I think my speculation above holds true. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have a suffix code for your block?

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

did you want just the 3 letters or the entire thing. i have 2 4 bolt 350s and 1 2 bolt 350. my dad has 3 4 bolts. i will see if i can get all of them for you.
    TJ /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

too bad this wasnt asked about year and a half ago, i had alot of 3970010 and 3970014 blocks, all truck ones, all 4 bolt, 72, 78, 74, ones, etc etc, i got one today ill check out the stamping on it and see if its truck or car, car usually means 2 bolt and usually is U or C stamp, and truck is usually T stamp and 4 bolt, but in 69 it was odd cuz some of the 010 blocks were 302 or 327 and 4 bolt in car

good luck

6. dyeager535

3 digit (2 in some cases) suffix code would be fine. Casting number and 010 or 020 if present would be great.

I appreciate any at all, even known 2 bolts will help prove one way or the other.

7. blazerman78

blazerman78 Registered Member

You probably already know this, but 010 is both 2 and 4 bolt mains.

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

My suffix code database kind of stalled. I haven't finished it yet. All my books and my Dad's still have the post-its stuck in them marking the pages though.

I do have SBC casting numbers on my website but no suffix codes. wrath.com/sbc. I've never really finished these either. It kind of stalled out when I quit looking for motors.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

TYU is my new one i just got: 75 C20 4 bolt 3970010

010, 020, 030, numbers are the casting material codes,
    010 and 020 both on the block is typically code comination for higher nickel content and is found casted under the timing cover in large size

10. dyeager535

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    010, 020, 030, numbers are the casting material codes,
    010 and 020 both on the block is typically code comination for higher nickel content and is found casted under the timing cover in large size

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately there is nothing more than hearsay to back up the 010/020 thing. First time I've ever heard of an "030" block.

Guess I could fairly reasonably make a conclusion if those numbers had any signifigance, if the same suffix code always got the same ID numbers (as in TAX block is always 010 020) or not.

I'd rather people just send me samples of broken blocks to send to a metal lab.