Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

working on my boatsides

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IIVIIoonshiner, Oct 8, 2006.

1. IIVIIoonshiner

IIVIIoonshiner Registered Member

my scout is about to be the proud owner of boat sides.... sheet metal and floors are already cut out and I lost about 14 inches of rocker.

I was planning on using 3/16ths plate to build them... they will be welded to the frame and tied into the seat tubing and roll cage when all is said and done. I plan on using metal tabs welded to the plate with rubber washers and body bolts to attatch the sheet metal areas to the boat sides...

this will be a slow process because I am inbetween welders and my scout is at my farm right now which is 30 minutes away.

my question is if i plan on welding the tubing for the seats and the rollcage to this plate i need to stick with 3/16ths right? has anyone ever tried using 1/8th inch plate for this type of application. they will mainly take glancing blows and not direct body weight... unless er when i roll some of the force put into the roll cage will be transfered into them... they will be welded to the frame and boxed at those points so that they are strong in that attatchment point.

keep my idea of 3/16ths or go lighter?

2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

pics man, please :rolleyes: ,:D

3. IIVIIoonshiner

IIVIIoonshiner Registered Member

I will take some this weekend of the cut sides that will be replaced with boatsides

until I can show yall... (don't worry about how it will work... I have that part figured out was just wondering about thickness).. what do ya think?