Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Working on my lift and need some help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, May 9, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Here's the deal. I just put my new Superlift springs on the front. Attached them to the shackles and stuff. They went in fine. The problems started when I tried to bolt the springs to the axle. The little bolt that sticks through the bottom of the spring that goes in the hole on the axle won't fit. It will go in the hole about half way and then it stops. The hole is plenty deep and I can move the axle all around, but it won't sink in. The bolt thing on the spring is too big. It does the same thing on both sides. No shims came with the springs, so they should slide right in. Can I file the bolt things down or what??? HELP

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

You can file the spring pack bolt- just do it even all around. Measure the size off stock springs then get to work this way you won't have to keep moving axle to see if it goes. It shouldn't need much just on the end of the bolts probably. Steve

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I would actually suggest drilling out the hole on the axle. That way it will remain centered. Start with a small bit and start going up from there. You should either have to tap it in, or somethinglike that. You dno't want it sloppy.

Corey
    88K5

(oh, I've never heard of this problem before tho...)

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I agree with cory. I have run into this problem before. gm used 5/16 bolts to hold front springs together and 3/8 on the rear. alot of the aftermarket springs use the larger bolts for added strength. Its easier to drill out the hole in the spring pad.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i had the same prob...it pissed me off sooo much....i thought i was kickin ass time wise puttin my lift on....but on just one side the bolt was too big....so i had to file the [censored] out of it and it fit fine....took me about 20-30 mins of filing and tryin it out...but i got it to work.
    Chaz

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I thought I was the only one who had that problem! When I put Tuff Country springs on the front of my '73 I ended up filing the bolt. Didn't have a drill handy at the time. It was a pain, but I got a good, snug fit.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

7. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

filing the bolt head doesn't make it weaker-besides if you want to go back to your stock springs you'll be able to.

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds good. I think I'm going to file it...that way it won't alter the truck at all. Thanks guys. I've had pretty good luck with 3M sanding sponges before, so I'll try them.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad