Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Working Parents, What Do You Pay For Child Care?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Polaris, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I sure do miss being on CK5 more, but between work and family I have so little time now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So, here's the situation. My hubby was laid off for his first time last November. To make ends meet, I got a full-time job for the first time since having kids. He was home yet, til today when he started his new job. Both of us working is a first. I have an awesome nanny; couldn't ask for better. We are just trying to decide if it's worth it for me to work, especially come summer. We have 3 kids, ages 4, 6, and 8. Are any of you in similar situations? What do you pay for child care?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You need to sit down and figure out if it's worth it, time away from kids, gas money to work and back and paying someone else to raise your kids, I'm a stay at home Dad and it works out pretty good, I can't stand the idea of someone else raising my kid or punishing them, thats why he dosen't go to public school either....Just something to think about... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Our kids are very fortunate that Kim is able to run her business from our home most of the time. She does go into the shop once or twice a week, though, depending on the schedule.

When Kim goes in on a workday, we end up paying about $50 CDN per day to the babysitter. Vanessa is there all day and Katrina is there for one hour after school. I'm not sure how this compares to other places, however- Canmore, being a resort town, is overpriced in every respect.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You need to sit down and figure out if it's worth it, time away from kids, gas money to work and back and paying someone else to raise your kids, I'm a stay at home Dad and it works out pretty good, I can't stand the idea of someone else raising my kid or punishing them, thats why he dosen't go to public school either....Just something to think about... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I work afternoon shift and my wife works dayshift. We've done this for 6 1/2 years so one of us is with the kids almost all of the time. There is a two hour window where she hasn't got home yet and I've already left for work so for 4 days a week my youngest daughter goes to a neighbors for a little while.

Fortunately, we trade off babysitting so there is no cash out of pocket. When we both worked during the day daycare used to cost us $25 cdn per child per day...and it used to create nothing but stress for us. Many daycare places here charge up to $40 per day per child. I hated that I was paying someone else to 'raise' my kids.

Once my youngest daughter starts school full time I'll switch back to dayshift again. Another year and a half to go...

Rene

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

We pay about 4 dollars an hour for 2 kids. 8 months and 5 yrs old. Usually only drop in care cause minimum wage here is so low it's hardley worth it for my wife to work /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We are just trying to decide if it's worth it for me to work

[/ QUOTE ]
    In my opinnion. No. A mother (or Father) should be home with her(his) babies if at all possible..
    Sorry to sound old fashoned.
    But If you can get by on one income try to do it.
    A paycheck dosn't go far in making up for the guilt you will feel when you have to drop your kids off at "the sitter". Looking at their sad faces as you drive away. Because they wanted to spend the warm summer day with Mom.
    When they get ill who will comfort them? A phone call from work doesn't provide a whole lot of comfort.
    I say these things because I have dealt with them. My wife and I were both working with two kids. They were 1 and 3 when one day we sat down and said "This is nuts". She quit her job and gave up her carrer to raise our kids. I did what it took to provide for my family. My wife took part time jobs during school hours and sometimes evenings to help out with money matters. We got by just fine. Sure we didn't have the things other couples with children had who both worked. But they weren't any happier than we were.

My kids are almost grown now. The other day my oldest daughter came up and gave me a hug and said "Thanks for all you'v done". Then jumped in her car smiled and took off.
    All I have ever done is be there when she needed me......

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Oh boy, this is a touch subject between my wife and me. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

But first let me start by saying one thing to those who say they "babysit" their own kids: ITS NOT BABYSITTING IF THEIR YOUR OWN KIDS!!! Deal with it, they are YOUR kids and you are watching YOUR kids and not getting paid for it. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif I hate when people tell me they are babysitting their kids because the spouse is gone or working. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Now onto my daycare expenses. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif My wife workds at noon til 10 p.m. 2 days one week and 3 days the next week. I work at 6 a.m. til 2 p.m. Do the math. There is 2 actual hours my kids are "parentless." They stay at the mother-in-laws house for those 2 small hours. And then theres the mother-in-law. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Even though she watches them for 2 hours, she still wants $10 per day when she watches them. Ok, no big deal. $20 or $30 per week to watch my kids for either 4 or 6 hours for the week. Next, throw my sister-in-laws stepson in the picture. They pick him up from his other mommy and my MIL watches him on Fridays and Mondays. For at least 16 hours. What does she take for babysitting fees? NOTHING!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif She does not charge the SIL for watching their kid for 16 hours total where she charges my wife and me for either 4 or 6 hours total of either $20 or $30 for the week.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif you say......"whats wrong wtih this picture?" /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I get paid once a month and I pay the MIL once a month for the sitting fee. That amounts to $100 because she watches the kids a total of 10 days between my pay periods. 10 days totals 20 hours. I'm paying $100 for her to watch my kids 20 hours a month and she's not taking a fricking dime from the SIL for watching their boy 64 hours a month. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Tell me who's getting the shaft here and loving every minute of it! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

DAMN MOTHER-IN-LAWS!!! WHO CAN STAND THEM? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Oh yeah, one other thing: My folks won't take a penny from us for watching the kids. They say they don't want money....they just want the time to spend playing and loving them, thats all. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif No, my folks can't watch the kids like the in-law does as my folks are retired and they travel quite a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

In my opinnion. No. A mother (or Father) should be home with her(his) babies if at all possible..
    Sorry to sound old fashoned.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to apologize. I know it's true. I just can't make the numbers work out so that we can cover expenses. My husband was supporting us comfortably, but the shop where he worked happened to have an owner who cannot manage money. I lost count of the bounced paychecks, but we hung in there. The job market here is not very good. But, he was making enough so that I could just supplement working from home doing website design. He was laid off at the end of November. Unemployment only pays 40% of what the income was, so we were left wondering how we'd pay the bills. So... I got this full-time job as a Service Advisor. I do like to work, but I know there will always be jobs out there and my kids will only be here for a little while. My husband's new job pays what is expected, but we come up about $400/month short. That is without the expense of child care! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The real kick in the pants is that he was managing a Checker Auto Parts store which paid decently and had good hours. He had 13 years in between them and the company they had bought out. He was working a lot of hours, and was invited to work at this shop (the one with the money problems, he had no idea). He left Checker to spend more time with us, his family, because the hours were so much better. And now, here we are, both working full time and wondering how we'll get by. Kind of a crappy situation. I know it could be worse and I should not complain, but it really tears me apart to be in this situation. Also, I budget very well and can't find any way we could cut back $400 each month so I could stay home! <sigh>

Thanks for your input, it helps to talk about it if nothing else.

10. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I pay 100 a week drop off and pick up are from 0545-1715 or 5:45am-5:15pm Meals included

11. mudgirl1972

mudgirl1972 Registered Member

i know its hard to decide what is best for the kids, here in nebraska child care ranges from 15-50 a day for one kid depending what town you live in and where the daycare is. have you thought of a home business that you could do that start up would be cheap, or any hobbies that you could make money at? do you know any one who has kids that needs child care? its good money and very flexible to do daycare. and you would be able to deduct on taxes for expenses and part of home payment.just throwin ideas around for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well we pay 82 $$ a week for a church daycare/school
    I went there and it is only right across the street and my wife works right down the street the other way..
    My son comes home after school and is at home...While I sleep
    I work nights and sleep in the day so my girl goes 3 days a week for the school part and then she is home 2 days a week with the wife..

13. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

my wife watches 2 kids
    well 1 she just takes to school and pics up
    she is 13 her sister is 6 and in kindergaren
    from 8:30 to 11:30
    she has her from 7:30am til school starts
    then pics here up and keeps her til 6:00
    then her mother pics her up,
    she pays my wife 50.00 a week
    and provides her food and snacks,
    shes a very good kid feed her and give her the remote
    ya never know she's here

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A paycheck dosn't go far in making up for the guilt you will feel when you have to drop your kids off at "the sitter". Looking at their sad faces as you drive away. Because they wanted to spend the warm summer day with Mom.
    When they get ill who will comfort them? A phone call from work doesn't provide a whole lot of comfort.
    I say these things because I have dealt with them. My wife and I were both working with two kids. They were 1 and 3 when one day we sat down and said "This is nuts". She quit her job and gave up her carrer to raise our kids. I did what it took to provide for my family. My wife took part time jobs during school hours and sometimes evenings to help out with money matters. We got by just fine. Sure we didn't have the things other couples with children had who both worked. But they weren't any happier than we were.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well-spoken!

My wife and I are very fortunate, and I make enough for her to be able to stay home and take care of the kids. Things get tight every now and then, and we talk about her maybe working, but we pretty much fully agree, one of us needs to be raising them. Both of us have family that's raised kids with less parental influence than there should be (or I should say "positive" influence), and we do our best to learn from others' mistakes, one of which was sacrificing thier upbringing for a couple more $$ for some luxuries we let take the place of bonding time.
    Sounds like your situation is that you guys can't make it with the current income and you'er not supplementing for luxuries but for survival.
    Best I can suggest is that if youabsolutely have to work, try to do what you can to work an opposite shift than your husband, and make sure you get time with him on the weekends or at night at least.

15. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Well, I am out of work and have been watching my boys. The last year that I worked, I had paid around $15,500 in daycare expense. It was some where between $295 and $300 per week for both of them. Now I can't find a job that will cover daycare expense and my live on if I go to work.

16. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like your situation is that you guys can't make it with the current income and you'er not supplementing for luxuries but for survival.
    Best I can suggest is that if youabsolutely have to work, try to do what you can to work an opposite shift than your husband, and make sure you get time with him on the weekends or at night at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit the nail on the head there. We have no new cars or car payments. We have a small house that we own. After being home with the kids for over 8 years, I have a good mind for budgeting and money management. The fact is, we come up short when hubby has to take a $5/hour pay cut. I could cut out some expenses, but not what it would take for me to stay home again. Depending on what I figure out this week as far as health insurance, I may just have to put it to my employer that I need to make a certain amount or I have to look elsewhere. I feel I've proven myself in the 2 months that I've been there - my immediate boss tells me I've exceeded his expectations so that is a plus. I'd rather none of this happened. I wanted to be home and/or self-employed, for the kid's sake. But, here we are and we have to deal with it.

On the bright side, my "nanny" is one of my best friends. She has loved my little boy since he was a baby. She is 24 and wants a family of her own very badly, but has very high moral standards and has not found a suitable husband. She does fun things with the kids, cleans up the house, and does not get into watching tv, etc. Right now she only watches one other boy, part-time. I couldn't ask for better as far as that goes (except being home again myself).

Again, thanks everyone. It helps to know that others go through the same struggles.