Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Workout Schedules/Routines

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jan 21, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone have a good site with information about workout routines?

I just joined a new gym(after not going to one for a year) and need to get myself into a good routine. In the past I had friends who were more workout savvy that helped me along. Don't have that now, and personal training sessions just cost too much.

I know some guys that go to this gym but in my opinion their routines are a joke. Abs one second, bench pressing the next, leg pressing the next, followed by treadmill walking... what?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm looking to build muscle and definition. As it is I'm 6', 150lbs, with chicken legs, haha. According to one of those electrical body fat testers I have 8% body fat, so not looking to be losing weight, just build up from here.

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Work full-time, school full-time, eat like ****, stay up late every night and never catch up on sleep on the weekend.

Dunno. Worked for me. I gained 5 pounds, and dropped 2% body fat since the start of last quarter. :screwy:

My old weightlifting teacher recommended just going out and buying a couple muscle magazines, and using some routines out of those. :waytogo:

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

no help but is this you sled? was someone avatar on a board.

4. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Maybe?

Sled, B+W.jpg

Sled, B+W.jpg

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not me. Eyebrows are too far apart, nose is too wide at the bridge, haha.

The black and white is me of course. What a stupid picture, haha.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

7. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

http://www.exrx.net/

Plenty of info on routines and exercises. I also have about 15 different routine sI can share with you depending on your goal..strenght, speed, 3 days a week 4 days a week, gaining, trimming...all kinds. However, my experience is that I cna train until i am blue int he fact, but if I do not enter and stay in an anabolic state by proper nutrition, my gains are minimal. Also, for me recovery has always been more important that training...PM me if you like. Good Luck.

8. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

i find the best thing for myself is a subscription to muscle and fitness, they have tips on not just workouts, but very good nutrition tips and all around info as well. The couple of workouts that I have done out of M&F has come with amazing results.

Regards,
    Remington

9. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

MF, Flex, Iron Man, they are all great rags, the big thing to watch out for is that the average non-assisted guy (i.e no steroids) cannot recover from soem of those workouts whcih may lead to over training and a lack of forward progress, fatigue, and eventually even injury.

That's not to say that there isn't great stuff in there, just be wary of any workout that says to do 30 sets of bicep curls...it is too much. Muscles grow outside of the gym, the gym is where we break em down. Arnie used to use the analogy of the car (or K5) that keeps bumping into the guard rail. If you never stop to repair the dents, and just keep hitting the guard rail day after day, you will not have a pretty car (K5)

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

11. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Bottom line if you want to get big you must work legs. Your legs have the largest muscles in the body. If you work them you will gain size. Of course you want to work every part at times. A lot of people who get into working out only work what they want to gain size in like biceps, chest, lats etc. and don't achieve as good of results as they wish because they ignore the largest muscles in the body.

12. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I agree with the over training aspect, but I think if you allow a minimum of two days rest you will be fine. I know very few people who train so hard that they can't recover and train the same muscles again on the 3rd day. Hit em on Monday then again on Thursday. Do different groups on Tues. and Fri. Make Wed. a day off or make it a really long cardio day. That's kinda my routine.

The problem with guys I see who are into the mags is they don't stick with anything. The mags are there to make money first and foremost. Example: January issue may have on the cover "5 Ways to bigger arms" so he gets all fired up and begins using this workout plan. The next month another magazine says on the cover "How to add 2 inches to your arms in 6 weeks" so he stops the first workout plan and begins another. Yes, your body can adapt to workouts so we should change periodically, but if you are always changing then your body never has time to really get into a groove and pruduce big gains. That's one reason why I'm not fan of circuit training. People that do circuit training are in good shape and it's certainly better than nothing, but as far as making real gains in any one area. It just ain't gonna happen. I say get a plan and stick with it for 3 months (1 quarter) then change. You will change routines 4 times in a year and in my opinion will achieve the best results.

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Let me start off by saying that out of all the teachers I've ever had, my weightlifting teacher was in the top three for knowledgability in their specific field. Also, he learned what not to do, by doing it. He's not even 50, and is totally falling apart. :deal:

My sophomore year, we started out with a two day routine, and worked that for 2-3 months- not long enough for it to have detrimental effects, but long enough that it started becoming ineffective for improvement. From there, we went to a three day routine, then a five day routine, that we stuck with until the end of the year.

14. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Guerentee you homeslice LOVES that picture, for his flagrant emo undertones :haha::haha: