Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

world heads vs. vortech heads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud390, Jul 27, 2003.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Anybody ever delt with World Products heads? Specifically the S/R Torquer's or the Sportsman II's. How would you rate either of these heads against the ever famous Vortechs? They seem to be a bit more pricey, but you don't need a special intake for them. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Kris

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not a SBC guy but I do know I'm gonna go with the Merlins when the time gets here for the new motor. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Beast 388 and I have used the S/R heads with very good results. These heads flow better than all sbc factory heads. I haven't seen a comparison vs. the Vortechs.

I wouldn't use the Sportsman version unless you are building a big inch sb, or are wanting to wind one up. These have 200cc intake runners vs 170 for the S/R's.

They are good heads with thicker castings than stock....

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I'm just looking at a mild 355. Shooting for 350hp, 400ft. lb. of torque. Nothing to crazy. Seems very attainable to me. What really shys me away from the Vortech's is that special intake that cost WAY to much!

Kris

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Go S/R's, blend the bowls, and enjoy a much broader choice of intakes. There are adapters to fit TBI onto these manifolds if that is in your plans....

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

No plans for efi. Gonna stick with the good ole carb. The Sportsmans seem to flow better, but I think they will be too big for what I need.

Kris

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Yep, SUBFAN hit the nail on the head. I am using the 67cc S/R Torquers on my 388. I did some mild port-work cleaned up the casting lines and slapped them on. They are great heads and work quite well on a torquey truck motor.

Unless you are building a high RPM drag motor, the Sportsmans really aren't needed. You want a smaller intake runner to get the torque-making velocity of the air/fuel mixture. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What kind of intake do you run? I have an old Performer Torquer laying around. Its a high rise single plane. I was thinking of running a Weiand Stealth instead of that. Any thoughts?

Kris

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Sell the torquer, and get that Stealth intake if you want. I run performers on everything, but that Stealth looks good too.

10. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I thought that seemed a little to rough for my application. I like the performers too. I guess I'll just have to see where I can get the best deal. When you got the heads, did you get the heads fully assembled or did you get them bare?

Kris

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

They were assembled. I had bought the 72cc version with 2.02, 1.6 valves, and drilled steam holes for use on my 400.

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Once again, SUBFAN is correct. Dump that Torker....single plane intakes have no business on a DD truck.

The Stealth, Performer, and Perf RPM (what I have) will work well the the S/R Torquers and matching engine components. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I bought my heads from PAW, back in '93. I bought them fully machined and assembled. Bolt them on and go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info. They seem to be a better choice than any others on the market for me now. If I don't have decent heads on my truck, I'll go that route instead of rebuilding what I've got. Thanks!

Kris

14. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Feel like we are ganging up on you yet?????? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have delt with World Products a lot and have been very pleased with there products. I agree ( SUBFAN/Beast388 )about the head selection . Your applications sounds to mild for the higher flow rates .
    I would get the heads fully dressed unless you were planning on having some exstensive bowl/runner/flow work done. As mentioned earlier keep the velocity up in your manifild/head selection .
    Just as a note : Like said above - the castings are much thicker than GM late model production heads - even if you left the heads alone ( no work ) you are spending money in the right place in my opinion . Tom

16. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

*shameless reason to post pic of my motor* /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Here is a pic of my S/R Torquers and Perf RPM intake etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Is this a pad or a brag /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is this a pad or a brag

[/ QUOTE ]

Either way, its a damn clean motor!! Wish mine was that nice. Hopefully it will be when I get done with it. Well, the choice is now obvious for me. S/R Torquers. Where is the best place/price to get them? Thanks!

Kris

19. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is this a pad or a brag /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Too bad it is hard to keep them that clean once they are in the vehicle. Here is a more realistic pic.....
    [​IMG]