Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

World of Hurt! Knocking/Tapping Noise from TH350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sr175, Apr 25, 2004.

1. sr175

sr175 Registered Member

I am getting a knowcking or tapping noise coming from my TH350 transmission. It's hooked up behind a 350sbc and at idle happens about every second or two. It is pretty consistent in timing. Oil is good and shifts fine. Any ideas?

2. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Re: Knocking/Tapping Noise from TH350

Have you check the flex-plate?? The can/will crack at the crank shaft mounting bolt area...

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check the flexplate inspection cover... Sometimes the flexplate will hit the cover.. start up the engine after your remove the cover.
    Sometimes the flexplate will crack like mentioned above.
    I've also seen a guy use too small of bolts to bolt the flexplate to the torque converter.. it was making a clanking sound because the bolts were too small diameter and loose.

4. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

let me help clarify, it's not every second it's about every 4th or 5th revolution of the motor you can hear a knock from inside the tranny housing. i was laying directly underneath it, and it was like the tranny was engaging really fast but not locking in while it was in park. suspect it may just be the shift kit, but my blazer has a shift kit and it doesn't sound like that while just parked.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifas always ideas are a huge help and well it's part of a shopping list of problems. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gifthe exhaust has leaks so the hiss and crack is there and also we can't seem to get rid of the tappet noise from the rockers. been thinking of doing it the old way of adjusting and just adjust out till the tappet starts and then tighten till it stops. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif