Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

World Products Torquer Heads vs. Vortec

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigburban383, Apr 7, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

The prices are very close. They apparently have the same runner size, but the torquers have 2.02/1.60 vs. vortecs 1.94/1.50. What is a better head?

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Vortecs..... Had these parts on "back to back" 350's...

Marv

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

The bigger valves will keep the motor breathing on up in the RPM's, but they sometimes (atleast with very large sizes) will cause a loss in velocity and sometimes a reduction in low end power. Just plug it into desktop dyno if you have time and see how it affects it. I havent dealt with either head, only complaint I've ever heard on the Vortec's is that a cam over .550 lift cant be used with the stock springs. (of course, how many of us really have that in our 4wd). If you want Desktop Dyno send me a pm.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[​IMG]
    Alright, the dotted lines represent the Torquer heads. They have the same specs all across the board, only difference is the heads. Its a 388, with 9.5:1 compression, small tube headers, 600CFM carb, dual plane manifold, and the RV cam I run in my 355.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Torquers will be cheap in the long run, Vortecs you need a new manifold, and if you want to run roller rockers they aren't cheap.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Whats the compression, use of the engine, etc.? That goes a LONG ways towards which is a better head. Vortecs are fairly cheap to use on a carbed setup, $150 will net you an edelbrock performer for vortecs, but once you step up to a bigger cam, if you have to deal with emissions, etc., they start to cost you more money, that typically doesn't happen with aftermarket heads.

7. alaskanbowtie

alaskanbowtie 1/2 ton status

dyeager and I have hashed this out many times before and there is NO comparison!! Hands Down Torquers are the better head!!! BUT for a little more I would go with a pro topline head that "IF looked around for can be had for not to much more!! They are very nice out of the box and the castings are a much better comparison, side by side they are better than all but Brodix and AFR out of the box and I've seen LOT'S of them!
    But let's just look at the comparison your asking about,
    >>>>>
    1.castings are better for Torquer!
    2.Valves are bigger and BETTER!
    3.Castings flow better out of the box!
    4.Springs are better, keepers and guides are better!
    5.screw in rocker studs!
    6.no manifold needed, no self aligning rockers needed, BETTER resale value so if your dead set on Vortec's then nothing we say can change your mind but LOOK at them side by side and it's VERY obvious which is a better quality investment and h.p. producer! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a big fan of World Products Sportsman heads. I've never ran the S/R Torquers, but if they're from World Products, they have to be good. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Absolutely hands down, any aftermarket head beats the Vortecs, especially one as economical and good as a World Products head.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

anybody wanna buy a set of Vortecs? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif that'll eliminate alot of my TBI swap problems im gonna run into.