Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

World's biggest trans cooler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K1Orion, Jan 29, 2003.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

World\'s biggest trans cooler?

Would this even work? I have removed the a/c equipment from my truck and noticed the condenser is huge. Could you flush it out and hook up the trans cooler lines to it? This is kind of a crazy idea but i figured i'd throw it out there!

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: World\'s biggest trans cooler?

I'm almost positive that this has been done by more than a few guys. I'm not sure what mods were needed, though.

One of the Brotherhood will be along shortly to provide better details, I'm sure. In the meantime, I suggest you try using the "search" button located at the top of the page. You'll probably find a lot of info you need........

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It has been done several times. Makes a hell of a cooler. The only trick is in getting the line sizes to hook up.

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I got it to work just fine on my 83. the hard part are he fittings on the condenser, I would have to look but I think I cut both of OE fittings and put on a different deal. I found most everything at NAPA.

ERIC

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I would reccomend NOT doing it.

- A air conditioning condenser is in front of the radiator, blocking, or atleast limiting, air flow to the radiator.
    Thats not a huge problem, but why restrict flow to the radiator, if you don't have too. (engine cooling supersedes ALL other cooling demands)

- The A/C condensor might restrict fluid flow.
    Possibly preventing the trannsmission from reaching it's intended operating line-pressures, which might allow the clutches to slip and wear prematurely.

- Water will accumulate in in ALL components exposed to out-side air.
    This includes the Engine oil, Diffs, Composite head-lights, and Transmissions. Under "normal" operating conditions, the components will heat up enough to evaporate the water into harmless steam and allowed to escape. Now, if the component (tranny in this case) is not allowed to reach "normal" operating temps, the water will not evaporate and it might cause problems (rust, lubrication concerns, airiation, ect.). A A/C condensor might not allow the tranny to reach operating temps.

It's ALL-about keeping the component AT operating temps, not ABOVE or BELLOW.

6. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

I agree with Twiztid. It seems like it would keep things too cool.

7. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I asked this same question about a year ago when I removed my AC stuff. The consensus was that it would over cool the tranny.. so I didn't do it.

8. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

If you do it get a thermostat. They sell thermos that will block off the cooler when the tranny isn't up to proper operating temperature.