Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Worn out new tailshaft bushing in 2 weeks? NP241 Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Jun 3, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

Oct 22, 2001
    OK, I instaled a new tailshaft bushing and the truck was as smooth as a Cadillac then gradually it started to vibrate and after 1000 or so miles, now the slop is back in the slip joint, and the vibration is back. What the heck could cause this problem?

When I took the old one (bushing) out, it was press fit into the tailshaft, the new one I installed was loose in the tail so I epoxied it in there and it held good. It is still in place but there is a little play when moving the d-shaft up and down.

I'm guessing unballanced d-shaft or bad pinion bearing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

(U-joints look good)

Help! I can't stand vibrating to work every day!/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    I'm no expert on 241's, but if the old bushing was a press fit, and the new one was not, you have problems.

You can't expect epoxy to hold a driveshaft steady, spinning at the RPM it does. At least I wouldn't. Check both your yokes and u-joints, but you need to figure out why the new bushing wasn't a press fit. If there is an "output shaft bushing", which is what you are describing, that is ALL that is likely supporting the output shaft of the transfer case as well. Pull the driveshaft, and wiggle the output shaft. Now imagine hundreds to thousands of ft/lbs of torque being transferred through that, with a sloppy bushing fit.