Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Worn out Yoke??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Itali83, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

My rear axle U-joint caps acually are loose in the yoke. I just replaced the straps that hold the caps on the yoke, hoping they were stretched but no help. So I'm thinking that 14 years of back and forth of plowing and life have stretched out the yoke and caused it to be loose. The U-joint caps will acually slide probally a 1/16" side to side in the yoke. U-joint is new and the right size. Also I noticed that there is no tab for a saftey thing that prevents the dap from flying off. I was thinking there should be a clip on the outside of the cap but there is no groove for that to fit in so it just sounds like the yoke is smoked. Anyone else have this problem? I think I'm gonna just get a new yoke and get it put on. Any last ditch ideas from anyone? Thanks guys.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

2. Hoover87

Hoover87 Registered Member

REPLACE THE YOKE!!! This is exactly why I am searching for a new yoke now. The little tab that is not there, that SHOULD be there, has broken off. If you look really carefully you will see where the tab used to be. I had to really look at mine. At first I had thought that the wrong sized U-joint had been put on my truck before I had bought it and by some miricle it had lasted these couple years that I've owned the truck. Of couse I was wrong and the tab had actually broken off. And of course as Murphy's Law would have it, on my way home from the shop in which I discovered this the thing decided to finish itself off and I had to limp the rest of the way home in front wheel drive.

Its just waiting for the most inconvienient time to go.

Take a good look at your straps too. Mine were all chewed up and bent out of wack.

Mike

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that what I thought it was, the straps are breand new because I was hoping the old ones were stretched but nope. Looks like I will be getting a new yoke, I've already blown 2 u-joints in the rear and that probally hasn't helped the yoke much either. Thanks again
    Ben 87 Jimmy