Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Worn shocks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Jan 17, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

How do you tell if a shock is worn out? First way would be if you are looking to buy some, you find a used set not installed- how do you tell they aren't junk? Second way would be in they are installed, how would you tell then? Thanks....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

If you're talking about those chrome one's your truck came with...yes....they're worn out [​IMG].

Are you getting a bunch of body roll? Or does it feel like your truck is skipping off the bumps? I dunno....I go by feel. *shrug*

Take it down a grated dirt road. that'll let you know real quick.

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

if they are not installed you can push the end down hard and fast, if the give say 1/2inch in a free fall then seem to catch and become hard to move then they are worn out. You can also shake them and if you hear fluid moving in them they have had it. If they are installed bounce the truck up and down at least three cycles by hand and let go if the truck contiues down and the stops on the up cycle shocks are good, if it goes down, up and down again before stopping they are shot. Most shocks are cheap enough that I would not recommend buying used ones. The ones on my truck have maybe 5000 miles on them and they are shot already. Granted it was a hard 5000 miles.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are looking at a set of used shocks:
    They should look in excellent like new condition. The housings should be clean and not dented. Inspect for any fluid leaks around the shaft. There should be absoultly no fluid leaking. The bushings should look like new. Compress the shock. you should feel some resistance depending on how it is valved. Then pull it back it should be hard to pull back. This provides the danpining action. The shock should be easier to compress than it is to pull back out. If the shock is very easy to compress and pulls back with little or no resistance it is no good. Gas filled shocks will try to rebound by them selvs after they are compresed. If they dont there is a leak in the seal or housing and all the gas has leaked out.
    Personaly I would not buy a set of used shocks unles I knew where they came from. They really are not that expensive. You might just be buying SEP "Somebody Elses Problem"
    Rember shocks are really only good for about 25000 miles and even less on a 4x4.

If the shocks are on the vehicle:
    Push and pull hard up and down on each corner of the vehicle. Get the vehicle rockin then let go. The vehicle should only bounce up and down no more than 3 times(up, down up,) then stop completely. If it bounces more than 3 times the shocks are bad.
    Always repalce shocks in pairs.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Thunder on 01/17/02 09:53 PM.</FONT></P>

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Can the dampening properties of a shock be shot even if the body bounce doesn't happen? I'm convinced my shocks aren't properly absorbing road imperfections, but if I do the "bounce test", I get no more than 1 before it settles out.

What gives?

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Are they Rancho RS 5000s? If so that sounds pretty normal

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Nope.....they are Monroe something or other. I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade them, but if the shocks aren't to blame for the unforgiving ride than I'd rather spend my money elsewhere for now.......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

8. ChevyCaGal

No my shocks are fine... I am asking in general. If I were to ever come across a good deal to buy some to hang onto when they are needed. I saw some Black Diamonds that looked good, but I had no clue if they were worn out.... I wanted to know if you can tell?

(PS I like my chrome shocks- only part of the truck that's purty)

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining

9. ChevyCaGal

Well... ok they were on a truck... but there was more then those two... so if the others were working right then it masks the ones he's selling as good. I'm just wondering if there was any trick or thing that I missed on how to visually see something wrong....

Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Canmore:
    Monroes are a pretty stiff shock also. Monroe makes Rancho shocks. The Monroe Magnum and the RS5000 are pretty much the same shock except the RS5000s have poly bushings and the mounts are welded on stronger.
    If your truck is stock or not lifted more than 4 " Gaberiel makes some good shocks for around 30.00 ea that are quite a bit softer than Rancho/Monroe. I replaced RS5000s with Gaberiel LT shocks on my K5 and like them better. It handles and rides better offroad with the Gabriels. Or you can go with an adjustable shock. The RS 9000s are nice.

Steph:
    About the only way you can visually tell if a shock is bad is to look for any signs of oil leaking past the seals. If there is any oil leakage at all the shock is bad.

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins