Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

worn U-Joints?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudRebel350, Aug 20, 2000.

1. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

May 20, 2000
    Ok I at first I thought this noise was the rear brakes. Now my stepdad suggested its the u joints. I think hes right. When Im on the gas it will make a real nasty squeaky noise, and when I let off it will go away at all for the most part. Is this a sympton for worn U joints/

88 Gmc Jimmy
  2. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    I've found that when you let off the gas is normally when you hear the u joints, you should get a kinda ringing tinny sound as it echos through the driveshaft. Best to just get under your truck grab the shaft and see how much play is in the joints.

MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"
  3. I just had mine replaced last week because they were shot (the yokes were almost banging). It would vibrate down the highway when I had the gas down. When I let off the gas, the vibration would slow and then stop.

When you check the joints, grab each yoke and try to twist them in opposite ways of one another. If you can get one side to move without moving the other shaft, then the u-joints are bad/getting that way.

BTW, if you get someone to replace them (like I did), buy the joints somewhere else (ABC auto, etc) and take them the shaft/truck and the new joints. I got ripped bad by letting the shop get them for me.
  4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

May 9, 2000
    One of the best way to check a u-joint is to get a big flat head screw driver and put it up through the joint a few different ways and see if it will move at all.

i am getting a similar squeak as you, but when I drive under throttle and I got under mine and one of the caps of the front joint is broke.

1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>