Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

worst case scenario

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by delta9blazer, Mar 13, 2001.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

went out to a state off-road park this past weekend with my neighbor. he has a stock exploder with maybe one size larger tires, with street / trail tread. we've been out there before, and he kinda boonie-whomps it at other places a lot.
    i led for the first part, and bypassed the large mudholes. i'd been stuck in these before, and i wanted to get some wheeling in before we planted ourselves. i got to a point in the trail that i decided was too hairy to try with my family in the truck. we were just out for a day trip, with a cooler full of goodies.
    so as i'm turning around, my neighbor and his family are on the walkie talkies, calling me chicken and stuff. no biggie, they know my truck is bad. so now he's in the lead, and he goes straight for one of the puddles, hesitates, and then romps half-way through. i drive around and pull him out, and the f*rd won't start, won't turn over. he pulls the starter, all six plugs, etc, etc, etc. i end up towing him 60 miles back home (blazer ran sweet the whole time, even pulling him at freeway speeds).
    so i talked to him after work yesterday, and the verdict is in. he sucked water into three cylinders, bent three connecting rods, tore up two piston, and unknown damage to the lower end. either he fixes, or replaces. estimate is between three and five thousand dollars.
    ouch.
    i think i'll be water-proofing my truck now....

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yep. There are way too many folks that won't spend $5 on a snorkel setup to save their engine. That is one of the next things on my to-do list.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

If you were at the mudhole in Frank Raines then the guy just doesn't know how to drive. I saw a totally stock S-10 Blazer go through there with no problem the other day when I was there. Too bad people don't use their brains a little more while off-roading. The worst part about it is that guy will probably do the same thing again after it's fixed.

just my $.02
    David 75K5
    http://www.extremeblazer.com

[​IMG]

4. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

you know the three large puddles? just on the other side of the first set of hills? it was the smallest one, the one that kinda goes between the trees, all the way to one side of the clearing. definitely driveable. he just hit it too fast initially, and got a lungful of bad luck.
    he says the exploder will never go off-road again. he was getting to be my wheelin buddy, too!
    and i'd say the catastrophy was due to inexperience and bad luck, rather than any idiocy.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>