Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Worst ever mileage from a TSL? (depressing story added)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Sep 21, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Post up your horror stories on TSL mileage. I have a story that I'll share later.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Last night I finally got the injection pump and new injectors installed on my 6.2. A few minor problems, but it went well and my buddy and I got it up and running by midnight or so.

I bolted up my brandy new 39.5x15x15 TSL's a week ago and figured we should go for a quick drive. I knew the truck was running good, but I really wanted to see how good or bad the TSL's rode. They have no weights or balancing anywhere, so I was expecting a pretty rough ride.

So me and my buddy Stan head down the road, I took it up to about 40 mph and all was smooth./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I go through the stop sign and pulled a U-turn at the next intersection. Then we headed back to the 'bat cave'. I wanted to see how it was at 60 mph so I blew past the driveway for the cave and decided to pull a U-turn just before we got to town. I have no insurance on the truck yet and wasn't looking to draw any attention of any sort.

I pulled into this subdivision to get turned around and midway through the U-turn the front left tire blows off the rim at a modest 2 mph. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

So now we're about a mile from the bat cave, my truck in uninsured, in the middle of the road and has one TSL de-beaded and flat. Tire had an incredible 3 miles on it.

We walked back to the cave, grabbed a spare 40, floor jack and a lug wrench and drove back up there in Stan's truck. At this point we're doing our NASCAR best at getting the tire changed...me on the jack, Stan on the lug wrench. As soon as we got the spare on we headed back to the cave for a Post Mortem.

Under the better lights the fianl verdict is the tire is done. The bead area is destroyed and has a huge hole. So I got a whopping 3 miles out of my TSL. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

So, why did the bead area self destruct? I run 15" rims on the one ton stuff so I did have to grind my calipers. While I was doing this (last November) I found out I had 3 rims with 3.5" back space and 1 that was 4.125" back space. I found out because the second caliper I ground I had to take way more off. If I was a smart fella I would have gone back to the first caliper and ground it to match. I am not a smart fella apparently...or maybe I was just sick of grinding. Shortly after the grinding was done that set of rims and the 36's mounted to them were bolted under my buddy's (Stan) 89 Blazer...and I bolted up a really used set of 40's on some 8" rims.

Fast forward to a week ago. I wanted the 10" wide rims for my new tires so I bolted up a spare set of 35's under Stan's truck and took my oddball set of rims and new Swampers to the tire store. Everything goes well. By this time I've forgotten I have an oddball rim...and I had a 1 in 4 chance of putting it in the worst spot on my truck.

So, the inside edge of the rim was rubbing on the ground edge of the caliper for our little drive last night. I thought I had a slightly sticky caliper or something from the truck sitting so long. The rim edge heated up and melted the bead of the brandy new TSL. I now have a very expensive tire swing for my kids....99.994% tread left and unusable.

Ironically enough...at 60 mph the truck rode smooth as glass. No balancing of any sort. I must have got a pretty round set of tires.

Did I mention we leave for Moab in about a week and I don't have money falling out my butt?

The drive home from the bat cave sucked...30 miles of freeway to beat myself up for being stupid /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Sorry for the novel... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Rene

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: Worst ever mileage from a TSL?

[ QUOTE ]
    Post up your horror stories on TSL mileage. I have a story that I'll share later.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't tease us like that /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Dang that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sorry to hear it man

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

so...have you looked for a decent used swamper to run till ya get a new one?...i can check here locally for ya if needed...and u can get it on your way thru.....

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Rene. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

We all make mistakes, sometimes they cost us $$$. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

that sux a$$ rene, I know you had been waitin a long time to get them new 39.5s and they sure as hell arent cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

it IS a good lesson for all of us caliper-grinders to learn though. I imagine more than a few people could run into this kind of failure if they ground their calipers when they had old brake pads/rotors on their rig... go to put new ones on...rim rub... bead melted. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

hope ya find a cheap used one somewhere local.

j

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ouch! That sounds like my luck. I've said many times, "Give me a 50/50 chance and I'll blow it EVERY time!" Wanna borrow my "title"??? "SOL" pretty much says it...

9. tRustyK5

My buddy Stan has offered to 'bruise' his credit card for another tire. It'll all turn out OK and I'll still make BB03. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I do have another 39.5 with about 10% tread left that's on the truck now...it'll do until the new tire comes in. I need the truck mobile this week to get it emissions tested and work out the bugs before we leave.

If there is a lesson to be learned with ground calipers it's this: Always give the tire a spin after tightening the lug nuts to make sure it's not hitting. I had used an impact and didn't give it a second thought.

I hope the caliper is OK...the truck was stopping just fine and stuff afterwards, but I still worry about it a little.

Oddly enough the truck never pulled left like I thought it would if it was rubbing that hard...

Rene

10. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

sorry to hear that man, glad your ok

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Could have been worse. The tires could have been stolen from the truck while it sat all that time. At least you got to take the truck out for a drive and test things out long enough to come to a conclusion that it rode good and smooth up to 60 mph. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

And also, since you didn't have any insurance on it at that time....

What would have happened if a cop came by and saw you broken down? Could have called a tow truck, fined you for no insurance, blah, blah, blah. To make a long story short, a ruined TSL is cheaper than all that crap you would go thru with the po-po. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

13. tRustyK5

It can always be worse. The tire blew off the bead at 2 mph...30 seconds earlier I was doing 60 mph. 30 seconds later and I would have been doing 40-50 on my way back.

Yes, no insurance is bad here. Fine, impound, etc etc and all of it more spendy than a new tire.

Rene

14. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Sorry to hear man /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that, Rene. Yea, you're right...could have been real ugly if that sucker would have blown at 60mph...meat would have been flying everywhere! Glad you're a-OK. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wow!!!! That Sucks!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I hope everything works out for yah!!!

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Ouch, that sucks... My worst mileage was about 2500 out of a $320 38" Radial TSL. Something put an 8" gash on the inner sidewall... It works real nice to sit engines on when you're transporting them now. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

18. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Damn, that sucks Rene.... Hope ya get your stuff ready for BB03! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn rene that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif glad to here you got your blazer going again and are almost ready for moab /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 38s that are on now are fawkered all up. I drove home from browns with a screwed up tie rod. Now my front tires are at about 50% and not even at all. They are tall on the front of the lug and down to the wear bar on the trailing edge.

This is after about 2000 miles. And the rears are close to 90%

Next stop 42s.