Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Worst luck ever..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by XHitman396, Nov 6, 2005.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so im on my way home for the weekend friday from school in the K5, a little over an hour away, and about 45 minutes from home, i hear/feel a BOOM-RATTLE-RATTLE-BAMBAMBAM.... well at first i thought it was my ring and pinion, whose days were numbered, so i pull over to the side of the road, look under the truck, and realize no driveshaft.. hmm... so i look behind the truck about 15 feet is my driveshaft, with the yoke from the transfer case on one end, and the u-joint on the other.. so i realize i guess i didnt tighten up the bolts holding the cap on to the u-joint good enough last time, so i shot out, resulting in the noise and missing driveshaft..

well no big deal, call my dad, he's on his way with the u-joint to the rescue.. so i sit for about 2 hours waiting on him, so he arrives, we replace the u-joint in record time, so i crawl under the truck, start to put the yoke back into the end of the 'ol NP208, and there i see it, the transfer case tail-housing is sheared off the main body... dammit.. so the whole case is completely destroyed. now im stuck at college with no vehicle, and now i gotta find a transfer case, which i cant afford, and sweet talk my former instructor to letting me come over and use the shop while im on Christmas break..

so anyone else have any horror stories of back luck to make me feel better??

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I was robbed twice in a matter of about 4 days. Both times they left with the most valuable single tools I own.

It could be worse, haha...

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Did the same thing on an old 70 Dodge pick-up with a newly rebuilt 727 transmission. Didn't tighten the straps well enough. Blew shrapnel clean through the floor and roof, wasted d-shaft, bent 727 trans output at a 90 degree angle. :D

Sold it for parts, at the time I couldn't afford to fix it.

4. gauder

gauder Banned

Alternator, starter and in-tank electric pump all in the same week.

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Mass air flow, Ac Compressor, then brakes, everytime i got one of the things fixed it, the next one took a crap within a matter of days. Finally got it all good and get my blazer back to emmetsburg...and i picked up a nail in one of my tires :doah:

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How bout this?

89 half ton -- Drove it around for a few weeks, calipers up front froze up. Re-built them, few days later, heatercore goes, few days later, I blow the engine, replace engine, blow tranny, replace tranny, calipers freeze up, again! Fix calipers, fuel pump quits, replaced the fuel pump, and now it needs a new tranny, used one I bought has been slippin since I put it in, lol

Also, door handles broke, and all the u-joints have been failing one after another :P

I don't even wanna know what else could fail on that truck... Its by far spent far more time in the shop than on the road, lol

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Wow!...

Sierra!--are you SURE its not a FORD???--no "blue oval" thing on the grill is there?.. :haha:

Thats a lot of failures in a short time!..your truck must have sat awhile before it "hit" the road!..many older vehicles I have stored and let sit,and re-registered usually run good a few days,then all hell breaks loose--calipers sticking,gas tank leaking,brake lines rusted and pop,rotors and drums full of rust,etc.,corroded wiring connections,-they don't like being "woken up" after a long nap.. :rolleyes:

Most of my GM trucks have been very dependable,despite many "halfa$$" repairs on my own and previous owners doings!..amazingly,I drove them many thousands of miles without ever having any major breakdowns--never had to hitchike or walk home,or call for help (yet! :blush: :whistle: )..some needed a water pump or radiator,I'd add gallons of coolant before each 65 mile ride to work until I could fix them,and never got stranded..

My 79 C10 was the only one I blew a motor in..and it just decided to lose a chunk oft the top of the #6 piston on its 250 six ,with "only" 116,000 miles on it..ran like a champ until that happenned--to its credit it did get me 15 miles home,skipping,shaking,and smoking so badly no one could follow me for a mile!..sounded like a stonecrusher when I got home-
    -but if I had wanted,I bet I could have just stuck another piston in it,and it would still be running!--rest of the motor looked fine,but I put a 305 in it instead..I like it much more with a V8,and its actually a bit better on gas than the six was--and way peppier too..

I had a blowout in it too once,and had to drive it on the flat for 3 miles--the expressway was too much of a death trap to change it where it blew,and my bottle jack leaked its oil out and wouldn't lift it!--had to drive it to a store,buy motor oil for the jack,THEN I could change the tire..so I'd say I've had more "bad luck" in that one more than any others I owned..but nothing I had to tow it home or walk home from..I think GM makes a pretty reliable truck--at least the older ones anyway.. :crazy:

8. Russell

I dunno Diesel -- I've often wondered if someone dropped a chevy body on a ford or something!

The truck has just over 380 000 miles on it, and sat for about a year before I picked her up. Never even thought to look at the odometer when I got it, lol

Its actually a really good lookin' truck, I was tickled pink when I saw it. Even moreso when the guy told me he'd trade a loaded 89 half ton for a base model 74 3/4 ton, straight across, lol

I shoulda kept the 74! That truck had balls, was a ton of fun to drive, and never once gave me a single problem. She only had 108 000 miles on her when I bought her, and was in good shape :) I swapped a couple body panels around and such, and traded the old girl after that.

The kid beats the snot outta that truck, called me and told me he blew the 350 up the other day, tossed a crate 454 under the hood, and is back to roasting tires at a rapid pace, lol

Basically, the only things I have to fix on the 89, or are still working and have not failed yet include 1 u-joint, both door handles, the temp gauge, a tear in the front seat, ball joints, steering box, and some prom work, lol

I've really enjoyed the 355 I put into her, lotsa balls, and sounds great with the duals I put on. Too bad that tranny slips so bad (new tranny on the way, lol)

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Want a horror story? I let my sister use my DD roughly two years ago and the oil pump went. The gauge died, she didn't notice, the idiot light came on, she didn't notice, the crank bearings fried and spun, she didn't notice.

I now have a reman. short block because she was too dumb to look at the big yellow light and pull over. T-cases are a lot cheaper than motors.

10. Russell

You'd think she would have noticed the knocking sound, lol

When my 89's 305 gave up the ghost, it let me know in a rather violent fashion. It simply exploded :P

Sent rods through the pan, and scattered bits of piston all over the place, including into the tranny pan :eek1: (it was after I changed the fluid that the tranny started slippin, then one day on the way to school she slipped, and didn't come back :(

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

She had to give it gas to keep it running because the bearings were seizing, she got home and shut it off and neglected to tell me. When I went to start it the starter wouldn't turn it over, the motor was solid. Needless to say she helped pay for the new motor.

12. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

haha, thanks guys, i knew this was the right site for this kinda post.. happy wrenching..

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Bumper Snicker seen on a Brit Sports Car "The parts falling off of this vehicle are of the Finest British manufacture."

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my cousins father in law gave me a 77 k-10 free.so we drive 2 and a 1/2 hours to st. helen the following weekend.i jump in it and it started up!!WEEEE so we hook up the tow bar and off we go. about twenty minutes into the ride the k-10 starts making a helly grinding noise. :mad: so we pull over and there is nothing hanging,rubbing,etc.RATS so i say fook it its free what ever it is is still cheaper to replace than it would cost to buy this truck.it was in good shape.so off we go again, about 10 minutes later i see smoke coming from the front end.well the right hub was dragging.POS so we let it cool abit and took off again. well it just got worse so we did what we had to do! drink beer and pee on it. :haha: we are off again feeling better,truck still grinding.GUESS WHAT HAPPENED????? my blazer blows a hub!!!! SOB.so every 15 minutes we would stop and pee on the hubs. that 2 and a 1/2 hour trip took 7 hours. :laugh: :laugh:

15. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I hear you on that... I let a friend borrow my Blazer for a weekend while he painted his car. He called me the day he was to bring it back and said it had been broken into and I lost all my CD, CD Player, and other things I can't remember. After about 7 years later I lent my Porsche (his van was stolen) to one of my oldest friend, after about a month. I told him I needed it back... He brought it back with the power antenna broken off, and the passanger door had been run into by someone (large dent). I just can't learn not to lend out my vehicles....Maybe this time I did, since I haven't lent one out since....

16. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I sheared my rear driveshaft off the U-joint once.

I was driving at 40 MPH, getting ready to get into the 65+ mph traffic. The back end of my truck started shaking really bad. "This can't be good" Pulled off on a side-street. 15+ minutes of looking and I couldn't find anything wrong. Back out of the driveway I pulled in, put the truck in drive. "BANG-CLANK-THUNK-RATTLE-RATTLE"

"WTF?!"

Get back out, and there's my driveshaft hanging, yank the slipyoke out, and the driveshaft sheared off the U-joint... U-joint still bolted to the pinion. Throw the driveshaft in the back, lock the hubs, put it in 4-hi and drove to the shop where I was originally going.

Just in case you can't picture what I'm talking about, this is what my pinion looked like:

87K5_Blazer_4.JPG