Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

(Worst of the Worst) I Toatled My Truck Last Saturday...............

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jul 30, 2002.

I was driving home at about 2am from a friends house last saturday, and I had only had 2 1/2 hours of sleep in two days. Well I guess I passed out for about 1/2 a second and that all it took. I went off a Canyon, went through a 2 foot thick Redwood tree and ripped another 1 1/2 foot Redwood Tree out of the ground stump and all. Well I have had friends who have toatled their trucks but I never thought it would happen to me. No one could believe I was alive. My truck, one of the most important things in my life is totaled though. I cant believe it. Thanks to 90Blzr I had just had my new 36's put on that morning too. Luckly the tires and new rims are ok. But I am still in shock, and cant believe that the truck I had spent hundereds of hours working on and tons of money is totaled. I just thought I would share with the rest of the world what happened. If you ever feel the least bit tired dont drive, it's not worth it. -80K20

1. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I couldn't even start to imagine how you feel right now. I'm sorry for what happened and can only thank God that you survived that wreck. Take it easy and start building again.

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Remember the most important thing in the world is you.. Glad you are OK....You can always get another tuck...Dan

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yeah its the best that you are okay. Think about it you are alive still so there is a chance to have another truck. Not a whole lot of other people who fall asleep at the wheel get another chance. Trust me I know my dad reconstructs fatal accidents.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/icons/frown.gif One day at a time dude. I know how I feel about my truck...It is kinda like my kid...I'm waaaay attached to it.I can only imagine the pain and shock you are goin through. However like it was said above...Thank god that you are still alive to build another, better truck one day.
    Carpe Diem.

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i am glad you are ok. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif ..hope ya get another K5 up and runnin again soon /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Again good thing your still alive. Keep your chin up and start thinking about what your going to build next.

David

7. Thanks for the kind words. I started pulling it apart today and it's the most depressing, thing thats happened to me in a long time. I still cant believe it. -80K20

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Jeremy,

I know it doesn't feel like it now, but this is NOT the "worst of the worst". You are alive and it sounds like uninjured....you didn't kill anyone (including yourself) and you aren't going to spend the rest your life in jail.

You start again....you take what you've learned and apply it to another K5.....you do things BETTER because now you have more experience. A few years from now, this will all be a distant bad memory and you'll be stronger for the experience.

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. I know Greg, It just seems like the worst now. I am getting my new truck tomarrow hopefully. It's a 84 K20 700R4, 208 (gotta go), the trucks got 177,000 on it but it's got a crate 350 with 50,000 on it and my drivetrain, transfer case and what ever else is going into it. Although besides all this I am very shookin up by it all, to see my baby totaled has had a dramatic effect on me. However I have learned a few lessons I will probably never forget. I just still cant believe it. I thought about getting a K5 but something compels me to get another K20. So I think I am going to stick with that. The guy was asking $6,000 for it and I got it for $4,000 so I got a good deal on it, but it's still not MY TRUCK and it wont feel like it for a while. Thanks again though for the words, I need all I can get. -80K20

10. gokartergo

Has soon as you start wrenching on it and making it the way you want it.. It will feel like yours.. Take some parts off of the old one and put them on....

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Glad you're ok man! A new truck can be bought a new life can't be. Sounds like you walked away uninjured which is pretty lucky if you ask me. Did you have insurance? If so get that check and rebuild it again bigger and better... see if you can get your truck too to pull what's useable off of it.... as bad as this is it could have been way worse!

12. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I totaled a car in the berkley hills once. I know how you feel.

13. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'm glad to hear you are ok. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I know how you feel, I had a collision with a freight train in my 1973 Dodge Dart Sport, 360ci 4speed. The car was mint, I built it, and it was totaled, due to alcohol and sleep deprivation. That was eleven years ago, I still miss that car... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

When you survive something that by all rights you could have been killed, it makes you appreciate the little things. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Believe it or not, God has a plan for each person on earth. It's up to us to find out what it is, and live up to it.

Good luck with the K20, it'll feel like yours soon enough, even though you won't forget the wrecked one.

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

That's a good idea Dan....! Kinda of like a little "tribute" to the old K20, by bringing few of it's parts to the "new" truck.

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear that you walked away from it! Sorry 'bout the rig but you got the knowledge to get it together again. At least you didn't permanently damage your own body or kill yourself!
    Good luck on the new project!

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OOPS! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    Sorry to here the bad news! Glad YOU were able to tell us.
    Now get out there and find a new one!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Best of Luck too you!
    Burt

17. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Wow, sounds like your rig got messed up... that sucks. Good to hear that your ok though. Do you have any pictures of the truck or the trees that you hit?

18. gokartergo

Jeremy, Just a guess..Did this happen on Skyline Blvd????

19. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Man that is a bummer. The day I got my flatbed installed I was driving home and an idiot made an extremely wide turn into my lane and it was a very close call. Just barely missed her. All I could think was, no this can't happen, I finally got the bed I have wanted for so long.

I definitely like the idea of using parts from your truck. That will be helpful. Your a lucky person to survive that crash. Hang in there.