Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Worst Repair You Ever Did???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Corey 78K5, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I needed a new speedo cabel but since cruise-control was'nt very populer on a 78 model I had to special order it. So in the mean time I have nice new dule exhaust installed. Two weeks later get the new cabel ($65.00) install it totaly forgetting about the nice new piece of aluminized exhaust pipe right next to it. Go inside for about 15 min while it's warming up and then come out to the wonderfull smell of melted plastic all over the new exhaust. WAS P!SSED.

Corey 78K5
    350CI, TH350, 203, Dana 44,12 Bolt, 4"lift, Shackel Flip, Sawsall and 35" BFG's

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Installed a new steering hose,and it came loose. Rubbed agianst the belt's and cut the new hose. $27- gone!

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>I'm Discombobulated </a>

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I didn't have to put in a new speedo cable but had to cut some off the end where it went into the Xcase just to make it register on the guage(don't ask me why)and after doing so it also rubbed on my exuast manifold and melted but it still works like a champ...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

This was the only time I've tried to work on my own vehicle... I simply needed to replace the fuel filter... ended up going through three fuel lines, two filters, and a pump (discovered I needed one of those too.. but got a defective one put on and got ANOTHER)

86 Subaru <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/capman2k/>Go Here</a>
    WHO'S YO DADDY???

5. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

well... i guess this can kinda count... when i was stationed at seymour johnson AFB in goldsboro, NC i had went home for a long weekend to WVa... the whole way back it rained... and just after i left my parents place i hydroplaned and hit the guard rail...(thank god it was there. enyone who's been through southern WVa will know why) well i got back to base anda few weeks go by before i get around to ordering parts... new passenger fender, grill, head light, turn light, bumper, all that plastic trim..(oh i use to have a 94' s-10) well i put all the parts on order and proceded to take all the bad parts off the truck..so for the next few weeks after that i was driving around with a motor and a bumper on the front of the truck.... bungee cord holding in the battery, which did bounce out at one point... and one weekend me and my roommates (living off base) got bored and drunk... so we took out all our guns and proceded to shoot up all the old parts that were in the back yard....then roughly a month or so after i first took off the parts i had to put them all back onto the truck because the parts still hadn't arrived and i had deployment orders for saudi... so i canceled the parts put the truck back together the best that i could.... alot of duct tape and zip ties were involved... i guess we just got lucky... most of the mount holes happened to get hit from all the bullits... i got back from the sand box 4 months later and it took another month after that to get my new parts in finnaly .. you get some real weird looks when the front of your truck is full of holes.....

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Heater core 1989 S-10 Blazer. By far the biggest PITA in the world.

Ok the story...
    On my way to buy new heater core for 1989 S-10 blazer. I was driving my 92 S-10 blazer to go buy it. On the way guess what I smell and see in the floor of the 92. No need to think too hard. How about coolant.!

Had to get 2 heater cores and replace them both. Oh what a PITA. You have to remove the dash to get to these things. Anyway, I need to do it again to the 89. Leaking again....

John

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Motor mounts on my '73 Polara! I beefed it up too much without ever beefing up the stock, badly designed motor mounts, so occasionally, if I mashed the pedal too hard, it would somehow trash the pass side mount.
    The bad repairs were: A block of wood from the side of the road to prop up the motor until I got home; a brick from the side of the road; various debris to prop the motor up...
    After the dual exhaust was put on, it somehow interfered with the steering linkage when the motor mount went, so even when propping it up, I'd have to drive home making right turns only... I eventually corrected the problem by chaining the heads to the frame on each side.

ZZ4, I hear ya on that heater core!! Try swapping the tranny without knowing about lifting the body it first!

Ratch
    CK5 album &lt;-- New Wheelin' pics!
    This is not a new signature.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

BTDT...that one belongs in the "What were the GM engineers thinking" post!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

9. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

this was not the hardest or most complex thing, but a little plastic peice that controls where the air goes broke on my 88. i had to take off the glove box, four peices of plasic piping that moves the air accross the car, and some sheet metal. All of that was off for 3 weeks while waiting for the little part to come in, becasue no parts store had it. and, if you keep your insurance in the glove box, and the gove box is somewhere in the back of the truck, then finding the insurance card when pulled over is a PITA. it took me an hour to get the stupid peice back in, and on top of that, there are 10 scerews, and three diferent hex-head sizes to put back on. It was not too hard, but just a PITA.

16, 88 jimmy, kearning, but still need help

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Repairung a 78 Caprice after a collission ...... did it myself and saved big bucks !

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Mine was the fuel pump in my 93 silverado. I'm pretty sure they install those at factory before the truck bed goes on. 3 minutes to change pump, 2 Hours to get the freaking gas tank off the truck. Putting that thing in there almost pisses me off more than having to use both standard and metric tools on the same vehicle.

Tom

12. BrianK5

BrianK5 Registered Member

A while back, I wanted to patch a few rust holes in the floor of my blazer, so I attempted to remove the seats to get the carpet up. I ended up breaking the heads off most of the bolts that hold the seats to the floor! 6 hours later I had the bolts drilled out and the holes rethreaded. By that time, I said screw the rust holes, I was just happy to get the seats back in!

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

No it doesn't you stoopid liar...:mad:

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

15. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I had a 68 D100 years ago. The rag joint broke and so was I. Sooooooooooooo I fired up the jigsaw and cut a nice round chunk out of the tread of an old L60 15 I had lying around. Moved the metal inserts from the old joint, hooked er up and away I went. I also installed 77 Cougar buckets in this truck. I used hood pins to hold the seats in place. When I went dirt tracking, pull the pins and I had a nice comfy seat in the pits.