Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WORST VIRUS EVER !

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by riz, Mar 14, 2002.

1. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> CHECK THIS OUT !!

Worst Virus ever.....CNN announced.
    &gt; &gt;PLEASE SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST!!
    &gt; &gt;
    &gt; &gt;A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by
    &gt; &gt;Microsoft
    &gt; &gt;as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered yesterday
    &gt; &gt;afternoon
    &gt; &gt;by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed. This virus simply
    &gt; &gt;destroys
    &gt; &gt;Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its
    &gt; &gt;functioning are stored.
    &gt; &gt;This virus acts in the following manner: It sends itself automatically
    &gt; &gt;to all contacts
    &gt; &gt;on your list with the title "A Card for You." As soon as the supposed
    &gt; &gt;virtual card
    &gt; &gt;is opened, the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When
    &gt; &gt;the keys or
    &gt; &gt;the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus
    &gt; &gt;permanently
    &gt; &gt;destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus
    &gt; &gt;caused panic in
    &gt; &gt;New York, according to news broadcast by CNN. This alert was received
    &gt; &gt;by an
    &gt; &gt;employee of Microsoft itself. So don't open any mails with subject: "A
    &gt; &gt;Virtual Card for You."
    &gt; &gt;As soon as you get the mail, delete it even if you know the sender.
    &gt; &gt;Please pass this mail to all of your friends. Forward this to everyone
    &gt; &gt;in your address book.
    &gt; &gt;I'm sure most people, like myself, would rather receive this 25 times
    &gt; &gt;than not at all.
    &gt; &gt; Also: Intel announced that a new and very destructive virus was
    &gt; &gt;discovered recently.
    &gt; &gt;If you receive an email called" An Internet Flower For You", do not
    &gt; &gt;open it. Delete it right away!
    &gt; &gt;This Virus removes all dynamic link libraries (.DLL files) from your
    &gt; &gt;computer. Your computer will not be able to boot up

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> o.k. then ..........

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=98893&amp;
    AVERT HOAX Notice!!

McAfee AVERT Labs would like to inform you of a new email HOAX.

This email message is just a HOAX, currently we know of no other message that the user will receive about the HOAX as the initial email states. AVERT has not received any report of a user's hard drive being erased for opening the email.

We are advising users who receive the email to delete it and DO NOT pass it on as this is how an email HOAX propagates.

Below is the actual text from the message that may be received via email.

<font color=red>that text was exactly what you had posted</font color=red>

When it's a real virus I don't really mind warnings being posted but both McAfee and Norton also track the hoax's and if you could please verify that the virus is real before posting.
    This is a real old one too
    Date Discovered: 11/16/2000

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think the hoax's are just as destructive as the viruses, f%$# cyber terrorisom. For all those people who are set on destoying things, there are other job opportunities avaliable, demolition derby driver, wrecking ball opperator, crack whore , you know.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> O.k. ........... holy crap ! I just try and get them out there before anybody gets hit by one .......... If it turns out to be a bogus virus later that's great ! Maybe I shouldn't have posted about all the other viruses that I hear about that have been real ?? Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm just trying to save you all some possible headaches since I hear about them rather quickly.

7. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

I work as a network engineer, and I see hoaxes daily. Not that you don't have a good intention, but they waste bandwidth and user's time.

If you actually got a new virus, I say go for it. But about 50% of the stuff that gets forwarded through e-mail is all hoaxes. A quick google search on the subject of your forwarded e-mail will reveal if it is or is not a hoax. That's somthing I would consider checking before forwarding in the future. It only takes like five seconds and can save you embarassment.

No offense though, just my $.02
    - Brian

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Who said I was embarassed ? I'm not ! I don't regret sending it out and if you think it's a waste of bandwidth and user's time, I disagree with you on that one ......... there are far worse wastes of bandwidth and user's time than me trying to help out others .........

9. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Hey Riz, don't worry about it. But it may help in the future to go to one of the websites available to see if the virus warning is a hoax or not. Many of them are.

I can't believe this particular one is still being passed around......it's an OLD one! I think I first got this one last summer.....from my internet service provider, no less! I emailed them back and told them it was a hoax. The checked it out, and later sent an apology email to everyone saying they were sorry if they panicked anybody. So it happens to everybody.

Casey

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

dude, you just now surplanted Riz as the person having my favorite Avatar. please send me a link to it/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thats the second person to refer to them as an avatar, damn kolage kids.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

AVATOR AVATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehehe

13. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

av·a·tar Pronunciation Key (v-tär)
    n.
    The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.
    An embodiment, as of a quality or concept; an archetype: the very avatar of cunning.
    A temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity: occultism in its present avatar.

Avator is not in the dictionary.

Inquiring minds want to know.....