Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Worst week of my life

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BamBamblazer, Apr 2, 2006.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Well i want you all to know i have had the worst week of my life and it aint over yet. My dad has been very sick for months and we have known it wouldnt be long till he passed away.

So wednesday i get a call from my brother that his girl friend and my dads girlfriend had takin dad to the hospital because he was havin trouble breathin and as he said "I need to dry out". (dad's a MAJOR alchaholic) So we go to the hospital to see him and he is on a ventilator. He isnt breathing on his own at all at this point. Now dad had been through this exact same thing,the breathin trouble, drinkin, bein on the vent, back i april of '04 and he told us when they finally took him out of the drug induced coma and took out the vent that he never wanted that again. So now we had a problem, dad was on the vent and we know he didnt want that. He has told us all that he is tired and he is ready to see my mom. (she passed in '97) So we left him on the vent till friday so every on that needed to could come say bye, then we told the nurses it was time to remove the tube.

The tube was removed at about 4:30 friday afternoon, and dads breathin just picked up where the vent left off which surprised us all. So vitals all look ok and everything is going good so the family decides to go home for the night about 9:45. So we get home and the call comes about 11:30 that if we want to be there when he passes we need to come back, so back we go. My dad passed away at 1:20 am saturday April 1st. The funeral isnt till tues/wed so we still have have more to deal with.

So to anyone who has had to make the decision to "pull the plug" and then set at their loved ones side while they pass, My hat goes off to you, as this is the hardest thing i have EVER been through.

2. gauder

gauder Banned

You'll be in my thoughts man.

3. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

My prayers go out for you and your family, One cannot imagine the pain from losing someone so close. For what its worth know that you and your family will be in my thoughts.

4. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

We're with you.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My condolances...

Prayers to you and your family...:(

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My condolences...

I still recall the 4.30 am phone call we got telling us my Dad had less than 4 hours by their reckoning. We rushed to the hospital and sat with him and siad our goodbyes. I was holding his hand when he died and it was horrible. That was almost 9 years ago and it still tears me up now and then. :(

Spend lots of time with family and close friends. I had a really hard time with the grief, but was fortunate to have a really good friend stick with me and help me out. Without him I dunno how I would have coped, and I highly doubt my marriage would have survived.

Rene

7. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Sorry for your loss. :(

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'll keep a good thought and prayer for you and your family.

9. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my prayers are with you man

10. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

sorry to hear about your loss. Our prayers are with you and your family.

11. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

My thoughts are with you, I spent four days at my fathers hospital bedside and nights at a hotel, THE toughest thing I've ever done. I know what you went thru.:(

12. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I went through the same situation with my mom..She died in 1990, april 1st. 6:00 AM. She was on the ventilator, her body shutting down from the effects of lung cancer.. since I'm her only natural son, it was up to me to decide how much the docs should try to revive her.. state law mandates one heroic attempt, but after that was done, she started slipping again, and I just called it game over and let her go.

I feel for you, and my prayers are with you. At least he isn't hurting anymore.

Tom

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

sorry to hear about your loss. :( you've got my thoughts.

14. gauder

gauder Banned

Pretty sad that state law mandates that, even when someone has a terminal disease.

15. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Well, we didn't have a do not recusitate order filed at that point, so the hospital has to follow the law to cover their butts so they don't get sued for not doing enough. If we'd had a DNR, they would have had to pull the plug without trying the one heroic measure.

I really didn't mind.. the way I saw it, if it worked, it wasn't her time to check out.. if not, her numbers up.

Tom

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Your story brought a tear to my eye. Sorry for your loss.....:frown1:

In the meantime, remember that the Brotherhood is here for you. Keep your chin up, brother.

17. gauder

gauder Banned

Ahh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought no matter what the patient's wishes that one attempt had to be made.