Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Worth converting to K30

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Sep 28, 2004.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I currently have a 77 C20 Crewcab that I am trying to build into a daily driver and vacation/towing rig. I allready plan to convert to dual rear wheels and am considering 4x4 as well. I don't do any real offroading. The occaisional drive through a pasture to check on cows or to drive to the stock tank on my family farm is about it. Sometimes a muddy country road. Most of the time a rear locker would get me unstuck pretty well in the light mud situations. If not, on th farm at least there is always the tractor or the CAT bulldozer. My concern is on boat ramps. A few of the areas I have gone to in the past I have watched trucks not able to pull the boat out because the ramp is so steep and wet under the rear wheels. I have only used my dad's truck in the past(99F150 4x2 no locker) for a 14ft john boat and trailer in these areas with no problems. But we always watch as other guys have trouble getting the boats out. No we are looking at a bigger boat in the next year or two (20ft runabout probably) and I don't want to get stuck. Now I do have the advantage of a long wheelbase and the front tires would never get wet but having 4x4 would probably help. So I ask ya'll do you think it would be worth it to convert or just go with a rear locker alone?

2. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

4x4 conversions are almost never worth it. But a 4x4 K30 dually.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would do it, and it would be worth it to me if the body of the truck was decent.

I hate my tow rig because it's 2wd and constantly stuck.

I'd go for it.

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Depends what kind of time/money you want to spend. If you want to go the quick and easy route then just get a locker. That'll get you out of mostly all situations. But if you think that one day you might see a situation that 2 wheels just won't handle then by all means convert.

5. hawkeye649

But you'd go up a bit. (5 inches?) The frames are different AFAIK.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Well since the frame is the same (my understanding is the crewcab 3/4 and 1ton frames are the same while the reg cab pickup 3/4 and 1ton frames are different)and I'll allready be putting in the dually rear. The front end portion would be that much harder to do. I guess I'm not really looking at the monetary part cause it wouldn't be too expensive, but rather would I really need it or not. I am sure that I would probably start using it if I had it more than what I think I would. I currently just steer clear of an area if I think I would need the 4x4. On a side note since I won't be doing major wheeling, would I need the D60 or could I just use the 10bolt? That's is what the 3/4 came with stock right and the 30 series had a D60?

7. hawkeye649

I'm not looking at the monitary part either, remember, I'm spending YOUR money. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    I'm looking at the a SFA w/ leaf springs IS NOT a direct bolt-on swap, part.
    You need perches, a place to put the t-case (the cab floor is different AFAIK) etc.
    I've never done one, tried too, or even looked into it. But at the other boards I run with - the standard /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif is "go buy a 4x4". If all your looking at is towing a trailer, and only worried about getting stuck on ramps, I would think a dualie locker would be more then enough.

8. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Okay thanks! I did read a tip in one of the boating mags about putting a hitch receiver on the front to put the drive wheels up where the better traction is. I guess that would be an option too. Still considering the 4x4 conversion though. The rear locker is a deffinate. Earlier this summer I watched one of the new 1/2 chevy crew get pulled into the lake trying to pull out a bayliner about 25ft long. Kinda sad but hey we warned him as did others to wait. It was raining pretty hard when he decided to put the boat in the watter and slid all the way down the ramp. Never seen a grown man cry so hard /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. dirty willy

dirty willy Registered Member

I would do it too, I have it's not that hard, just buy a donnar truck. Use it for all the parts and to measure to place the springs in the right place. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Are all the holes allready in the frame or did you have to drill them? Would I really need a D60? If not I know where I can get a 3/4 sub for springs, brackets, front driveshaft, 400trans, transfer case (unsure which one 84 sub?) and any other parts off it I need for about 150 total. Then just pickup a 3/4 10blt and be good to go. Like I said I am mainly looking at this conversion for the help on boat ramps, but the more I think about it the more I think I could use it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you haven't had one of these trucks apart extensively before and this is your DD, I'd suggest you not tackle this project unless you're prepared for it to be apart a while.

12. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

No problem I allready plan on it being down for a few months starting next summer. That is when I am looking to do most of the work I am looking at. I am looking to put in a Cad 500/400/gearvendors, dually rear, Airbag helper springs all around, on board air,new interior, new front bumper, make a few body repairs and repaint, make a tilt front end with cowl hood, and for the rear either dually fenders or a custom utility bed from B&W at turnoverball.com with goose/fithwheel setup. Like I said I can get a sub with all the 4x4 parts pretty cheap cause it was rear ended really bad just need a front axle as it doesn't have one. Well I am getting it any way for the power doors and front buckets so I'll allready have the parts for the swap.