Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Worth holding onto?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I've got a small coin collection that I've accumulated over the years. Nothing spectacular;

Few Indian head pennies, silver nickels, one liberty walking half dollar, one mercury dime. Lots of bicentennial quarters and a few half dollars. A few 1976 $2 bills.

A decent foreign currency collection, 10 French Franks (paper), and a plethora of coins, Franks, Marks, Deutch-Marks, Guilders, Durhams, and Pounds.

None of the coins except some of the new foreign coins are in excellent or better condition. A few of the indian head pennies and nickles are in good condition (most detail lines visible), and only a couple S-proof coins.

Now the question, is it worth the effort keeping them? They're not loose (to avoid 'bag marks'). Each coin sits in an individual cardboard/plastic holder.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya why not? it dont cost you nothin, and if for no other reason than it would be something cool to give to your kids

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i just got rid of over 4k in coins from my grandmothers packrat house. unless thay are realy nice and full detail then worth just over face value by few cents. and paper money is only worth more if its what thay call crispy. no folds and fresh cut from the sheet. as for 2 doller bills haha i spent them only worth 2 bucks still.

we had 1 and a half 5 gal buckets full of just pennys. and lots of others. the only thing that made it worth it all was the total amount of silver. as the price for silver coins was at 4 times face the time we sold it.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

The Pre-EU coins would be a neat history lesson :)

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The tooth fairy brings really neat coins in our house. Mosly european, kids think they're cool. ;)

6. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would definitely hold onto them. I have a bunch of old stuff, that Im packratting now, just so my daughter has to deal with it later.:D

7. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

i collect coins as another one of my hobbies there are a few of the indian head pennies worth some money the 1877,1908s, and 1909s the rest are worth about a buck. the walking liberty and the mercury dime are worth about 5 times face value due to being made of 90 percent silver. all this is based on average condition if they are pristine the price can multiply by hundreds

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

What makes those years of pennies more significant than others?

9. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

with old coins it is all about how many were minted in a certain year or at certain mint locations, the 1877 is the rarest indian head and is worth at least $100 even if it got ran over by a train, in good gondition $500 +. the 1908s and 1909s were the second and third rarest, the s means san fransisco (the mint which they were produced at) and both of these are worth at least $100.

every series of coin has a rarity usually a year that they didnt produce as many a 1921 or 1921d walking liberty half dollar is worth at least $150 each
    and in the mercury dime series the 1921 and and 1921d are also the rarity bring at least $50 each

the most important thing about coins is condition. for example that same 1877 indian head penny in mint uncirculated condition is worth about $9000,
    a 1919d walking liberty half dollar in gem mint condition is listed at $130,000.
    coin collecting is called the hobby of kings because of some of the money these coins can bring.

p.s. the bicentennial quarter is listed at 60 cents (if it has never been touched by a human hand). i usually use these in soda machines

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

easy pickings

Our boss at the junkyard was a millionaire,but it didn't stop him from picking up anything he saw on the ground that had a penny of value,like copper cables,battery terminals,etc..one day my co-worker hoisted a 1930's franklin into the air with the forkloader,and several coins spilled out onto the ground..the boss runs over and scoops them up..2 buffalo nickels,and 3 indian head pennies..the ashtray had about 2 bucks in change in it,under moldy 50 year old cigar butts!...he never said what most of them were actually worth,but I bet it was a lot more than 2 bucks..:crazy:

We searched every cars ashtray that day when he went to lunch..found squat!..once in a while we'd find coins under seats while removing them,but never anything old or valuable..I bet the boss cleaned house before we had the chance to look in all the old cars and trucks..best score we got was a 20 dollar bill under a back seat in a Toronado....

I still scour my yard with my metal detector,just in case there is a few gold coins buried here..never know,this IS the oldest part of the USA..Plymouth MA where the pilgrims landed is only 15 miles away..and quite a bit of "treasure" has been found around this area before..my friend one town over found a mason jar with 7 dollars worth of coins from 1900-1955 in it,says they are worth 200 bucks!..wish I'd find someones "egg money"!..:laugh:

11. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Just checked the pennies I had... 1902,3,5,6,7... none with any mint marks. Best condition is the '05 -- can still see feather detail, leaf detail, and the small lines in the US emblem. That's about the best I've got. walking liberty and mercury coins aren't spectacular, heavy circulation 42/43 series. Still fun to look at them all every now and then I guess.

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

They will all be worth more one day. Just throw them in a drawer and forget about them - your grandkids will think that they are cool.

13. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

[
    I still scour my yard with my metal detector,just in case there is a few gold coins buried here..never know,this IS the oldest part of the USA..Plymouth MA where the pilgrims landed is only 15 miles away..and quite a bit of "treasure" has been found around this area before..my friend one town over found a mason jar with 7 dollars worth of coins from 1900-1955 in it,says they are worth 200 bucks!..wish I'd find someones "egg money"!..:laugh:[/quote]

a real find from that area would actually not be united states currency but colonial currency. the united states did not produce coins until 1794 before that each state used its own form of currency. these coins can bring unspeakable amount of money.

also the reason you didnt find any mint marks on the pennies is because 1908 and 1909 was the only two years they were minted in san fransisco.
    all coins without mint marks are made in philadelphia.