Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

worth it or not

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fivos, Mar 1, 2004.

1. fivos

fivos Registered Member

I would like to know what's have to be done to make a 12bolt stronger. Change it to 14bolt is not an option. i don't think that i could find one. Also where can i find an ARB locker for online order

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Basically it entails a locker, and new axles. Most of the bigger companies online would have an ARB for sale. Pick up a copy of any four wheel magazine and there are multi-page ads for many of them. Use good quality gear oil when you fill it. Make sure the pinion isn't loose . I know some guys would rather see a 14 bolt in there , but sometimes both axles and wheels and sometimes the welding of brackets isn't really affordable for some of us. Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Where are you located that you don't think you can find one? 14 bolts are really pretty common. If you are near Illinois, I am selling one right now for $125.

4. fivos

fivos Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Where are you located that you don't think you can find one? 14 bolts are really pretty common. If you are near Illinois, I am selling one right now for $125.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm way to far. I live at Athens,Greece. I ask because i have allready found a d44 front and a 12 bolt. So if i have to make an upgrade for the axle i have to make overseas order. Thats why i'm asking the way to upgrade 12bolt(c clip,full floating, etc)

5. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I think shipping overseas would be a bit cost prohibitive.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It all depends on the type of 4 wheeling you do and what size tires you are running, locking differentials, driving style, etc.

D44 & 12 bolt can be made to handle some heavy wheeing up to 35" tires or so. Tires 33" and smaller can usually get away with the axles being stock. It is all dependent on you, your style, and what you offroad in.

Harley

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Off-Road Design sells Superior chromoly axle shafts.

4 Wheel Parts has an ARB for $697 Their probably not the cheapest place that give you an idea...

8. fivos

fivos Registered Member

I'm useing 31", tops 33" in the future and i don't do rockcrawling.