Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Worth the Drive????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by marine_enlisted, Mar 15, 2003.

1. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I found a 91 burb 1/2 ton 4x4 with locked up 350. Grey with grey interior rear a/c 3 seat, pwr everything. Guy says rest of truck is excellent cond. The only prob is that he's in Connecticut and I am in North Va. and have no trailer. I would have no problem fixing this thing, but is it worth the 6 hour drive? Does anyone know who rents trailers big enough,or can you recommend a cheap auto shipping company? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

If the price is right then it may be worth the drive. It all depends. You should try to get someone who is near it to take a look and give you an opinion of the condition. Remember to factor in the cost of gas to get there and tow it back. Probobly at least $300 with gas prices being the way theey are and all. Shipping companies that I've got quotes from were all over $1000 to go 4 states over. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

I would have someone on here take a look at it for you first. I'm sure someone is from around there.

Jon

4. awagliar

awagliar Registered Member

If the price is right, it's definitely worth the drive. But I've gone cross-country several times for vehicles, so perhaps I'm not the "voice of reason" you may be searching for. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Definitely have it checked out beforehand. [first sane thing I've said all day!] /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

If I remember right, U-Haul Auto Transport Trailers (all four wheels off the ground) can handle the weight of a Suburban, and if the front tires aren't much wider than stock, it will (just barely) fit in the 75" available between the trailer's wheel arches. I think the Tow Dolly (two wheels raised) is a bit narrower, so the 'Burb likely wouldn't fit.

I know a guy here in Burke, VA that rents them, probably $40-50/day, though a one-way rental would probably be a better idea.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll agree with everyone else thats posted...have someone close look at it for you.

I looked at a car here in WA for a guy in FL. I noted about 100 things wrong with the car, mostly minor stuff (exhaust rot, window seals, what not) but the guy thanked me profusely. The seller made the vehicle out to be a pristine vehicle, instead of the 30 year old daily driver it was.

Everyones idea of "good" is different, whether it be personal preference or intentional deception, and there is nothing that can compare to having someone actually look at it for you, and note every single problem on the vehicle.

I've witnessed "excellent condition" from the East (esp. more north) and that usually means there are only one or two rust spots that have completely penetrated the body /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Semper Fi
    Cpl Grant Bourne
    Yuma AZ.

oh, and if its a good deal, its worth the drive.
    grant

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yeah I'd have to say if its a good deal then do the drive. I did a 1200 mile round trip for my 60/14 in a lowered s10 yeah it was hell, but well worth it.

8. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've witnessed "excellent condition" from the East (esp. more north) and that usually means there are only one or two rust spots that have completely penetrated the body /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, only one or two rust spots is "excellent condition" Heck, the truck is only knocked down to fair condition if the floor is completely gone, and only the carpeting holds you in! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif A truck in poor condition is a rolling chassis with a drivers seat bungied in place cause the body has completely rotted away!! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif