Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Worth the effort?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 10, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Went and looked at two 2wd 1-ton Crew Cabs today. Both had decent cabs, but mostly stripped. Some good doors and two good fenders. Plus a bunch of junk (looked like a Dodge and Toyota motor) and stuff in the bed of them. No rear axles under either. One has a 454 thats complete minus intake. (would have to be rebuilt). Both have titles. He'll sell it all to me for $400 if I haul away everything.

I want the motor. I figure the cabs would have some value. Is it even worth $400 and my time to deal with it all?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If they had axles I would think so. Without, its close. You might just be breaking even plus the joy of moving them.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Around here you'll pay atleast $400.00 or more for a good 454 core. So I'd say it's worth it. You can part out everything else and make a few bucks. It's good if you've got a place everything can sit for awhile. You know how long it can take to sell some parts.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Well 14 bolts are cheap. Does the one with the 454 have the trans too? Might make a good tow rig for you. Or put a rear end in it and sell it. Can you make one good truck out of the two?

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i agree one good truck or get the motor strip what you want and make 20 bucks at the scrap yard.

nathan

6. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Anyone think this motor would be a 4-bolt main 454, or just a 2 bolt?

7. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

From what I understand, you can ID a four bolt MK IV block looking above the oil filter. If there are two threaded plugs, one 1/2 in. and one 3/4 in. pipe thread plugs, good chances it is. If it has one plug, probably a two bolt. The plugs are for a remote filter and/or cooler for hi- po use. Nothing wrong with a two bolt block, though. The cast HI PERF on the block is on both two and four bolt blocks. Pull the pan to be sure.