Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Worth the hassle???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Junkie, Aug 10, 2000.

1. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Would it be worth it to change out a 10 bolt rear with 30 spline axles for a 12 bolt with 28 spline axles? Nothing is wrong with either of the axles, just wondering if there is that much diffenece since the 30 spline should be stronger than the 28 spline.

http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Yes! That is if you do any four wheelin`. The 12bolt is a 30spline axel and your 10 should be 28. The axel inners on the 12 are also larger than the 10bolts. The 10bolt runs a 8.5" ring gear, and the 12 is a 8.7/8" gear. The 12`s carrier is a stronger casting also. In all I would say that the 12 is a much stronger set up than the 10. They are also easy to get a hold of. Check the Parts for sale area.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I doubt it would be much if any better. The 10 bolt with 30 splines is stronger than the 10 with 28 and I dont know how many most 12 bolts have but they are both C-clip axles and they are really pretty close. The 30 spline 10 bolt is hard to find anyway so you might want to keep it in there because its a lot stronger than the 28. Just my .02 cents

90K5

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

89 and up 10 bolts are 30 spline and are the same as 12 bolts strengh wise. Would wait and get 3/4 ton axles.

5. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I was checkin out your site and man, that is a nice K5!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is what I would like to have for a daily driver and to pull my Jimmy around.

Sweet Blazer!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

What really makes a 12 better than a 10 is in the pinion bearings. The 12 I belives uses a long pinion with larger bearings so it can take more torq before flexing. I personaly have trashed a 10 bolt in a street driven van. Its about to fail again. Both failures were pinion bearing related (well the symptoms developing are the same so I am asuming they will find the same when it goes). The first failure they also found a failed wheel bearing. Both my trucks with 12's have well over 200k (one is pushing 300) and both appear to never had a problem other than seals failing. The first 10 failure on the van was at 50k. It just rolled a 100k and its starting to whine again. In my opinion anything is better than a 10. You can pick up 12 cheap and they will handle 35's without any problems. Warn has a full floater kit I understand so up grades are available. Yeah the 14FF is nice but thats a HUGE diff and eats up a lot of clearence. I have the same clearence under my 12 on 32's as a bud had under a 14 on 36's. If your going that big then you need to scrap the front axle and get a D60 because a 44 or 10 front will not handle 36's for any extended time. The question is "how big do you plan to get and how deep is your pocket?"
    As for c clip failure. The shafts are the same left and right. carry a spare. If sucks to have to replace in the dirt but I personaly have as yet to see a 12 fail. I'm not saying it doesn't happen bcause it does but not often and it usualy happens on a truck with big meats (38's and bigger) that should have had bigger axles to start with.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

alllllriiight, another person who has said something good about the 12-bolt.
    i agree with grim, i like 12 bolts and never had a problem with them. even though i usually never run larger than 33s but i do have 3:08s. as long as they are set up right and are regularly checked for fluid condition and level, then there should be no problems even for 35s. any larger than that then you consider a 14b.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I believe all 12 bolts are 30-spline, and the '89 and newer 10-bolts are also 30-spline and basically use the same axle so the strength is the same in that respect. The 12 bolt has slightly differential so there is an increase in strength around the ring and pinion and carrier. I think a 12 with a Detroit locker and Moser axleshafts would be very tough. I'm currently running a 10 with a Detroit and aftermarket shafts (Yukon's) and have yet to break anything (knock on wood) while running 35" tires and a lot of serious trailriding.